This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Thanksgiving Day is a great opportunity to slow down and spend quality time with friends and family. At my house on Thanksgiving, my family typically has quite the agenda when it comes to celebrating. We love preparing dinner together, playing board games, and sharing stories, but I think that I can speak for all of my family and say that our favorite part is to watch TV together. It’s the start of the holiday season which holds so many classics to get in the festive mood. 

Here are my family’s Thanksgiving favorites: 

1. Macy’s Day Parade

Despite my siblings and I all being in our early to mid-20s, we still wake up at the crack of dawn to watch the entirety of the Macy’s Day Parade. It sets a positive mood for the whole day, as the classic turkey and pilgrims welcome in the Thanksgiving festivities, and a final guest appearance of Santa Claus to bring in the magic of the holiday season. I will never forget when the Marching Royal Dukes marched in the Macy’s Day Parade, it was a moment that made me feel incredibly proud of my school and it was so cool to see my fellow Dukes on screen. 

2. The National Dog Show

Coming on right after the Parade, The National Dog Show is an animal lover favorite. My family has been cheering on the Golden Retriever, since 2004, as we saw our own goofy golden in the poised pup. Just remember to adopt, don’t shop if the Dog Show inspires you to get a fluffy friend of your own because there are plenty of beautiful dogs looking for loving homes. 

3. Planes, Trains, and Auto Mobiles

Quite possibly one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It is an 80s classic and invokes nostalgia in me for a time I never lived during. It’s about a busy man traveling with an unlikely friend to try to make it home for Thanksgiving, but they keep running into various bouts of bad luck. A hilarious movie with a wholesome ending, what more could you ask for from a holiday classic. 

4. Football Games 

Thanksgiving Game Day is an American tradition, and getting spirited about your favorite team is a great way to celebrate the holiday. The games are also a convenient channel to have on in the background as you cook dinner, set the table, and enjoy being with your friends and family. 

5. Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving 

The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special is a must-watch on Thanksgiving Day. When I think about Thanksgiving, this film is one of the first things to come to mind as it provides such good memories. I can remember 9-year-old me, with a full stomach slowly sinking into sleep as Lucy yanks a football out from Charlie’s feet. Nothing gets more nostalgic than the Peanuts specials. The wholesome story brings me into a thankful mood and is a lovely watch as you enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie. 

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and hope you enjoy some of these Thanksgiving classics this fall break.

Graduated the Math and Science High School at Clover Hill in 2018 Attends James Madison University, majoring in Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema