Ten Benefits of Drinking Green Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Weight Loss
The caffeine in green tea helps to reduce the urge to snack. It also speeds up your metabolism and gives you that extra boost you need to convert your food into strong, usable energy.

2. Skin Care
Green tea also has high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components. Studies have been done and it is believed that green tea helps to reverse and prevent signs of aging, such as wrinkles and sun damage.

3. Improves Your Brain Function
Green tea has less caffeine than coffee but enough to produce an alertness and preparedness to tackle the day. It also has an amino acid called L-theanine that works with caffeine to produce anti-anxiety effects. The combination of energy and less anxiety allows stronger focus and higher task accomplishment rates.

4. Lower Risk of Breast and Skin Cancers
Cancer is caused by uncontrolled growth of cells. Drinking green tea basically provides so many antioxidants that it is “oxidative damage control.” This damage control helps to put cells back in line and prevents cancerous cells from forming.

5. Protects Your Brain in Old Age
Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are both diseases that green tea can help lessen the likelihood of developing their symptoms, and can even protect you from them. The catechin compounds in green tea lower the risk for these two diseases, so while it helps your brain function now, it is also beneficial for long term mental health.

6. Improves Dental Health
The catechins also kill bacteria and inhibit viruses from taking a toll on your health. Studies have also shown that green tea prevents the formation of plaque on teeth and a lower risk of carrying bacteria in your mouth, and having less bacteria means better breath!

7. Lowers Type II Diabetes Risk
Green tea improves insulin sensitivity and reduces blood sugar levels. Studies demonstrated that green tea can cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels and lower the risk of developing type II diabetes in the long term.

8. Reduces Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Green tea, since it contains so many antioxidants, increases the antioxidant capability of the blood, which protects LDL cholesterol particles from oxidation, which is one of the main causes of heart disease.

9. Green Tea and Bones
There is a high fluoride content in green tea. It helps to keep bones (and teeth) strong. Drinking green tea daily will help to improve bone density.

10. Improves Immune System Health
Polyphenols and flavonoids found in green tea help to improve your immune system and make your overall health stronger by fighting infections.

Bottom Line: If you want glowing skin, a healthy life now, and a healthy life in the future—DRINK GREEN TEA!

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!