Summer Hair Products for All Hair Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Summer is quickly approaching, which means lots of humidity doing wonders to your hair. It seems like the sticky air just loves torturing it by frizzing your hair up in a big poof making us look like poodles. Coming from someone who has curly hair, I feel for all you and am here to save the day. Every girl searches high and low for the best hair products that actually work, so I’ve listed the best products for all hair types that will keep your hair under control and looking fabulous all summer long.

Fine Curly Hair

1.Bumble and Bumble Defrizz

This product works wonders for my hair all year long. I don’t have very thick hair, so I tend to get many flyaways and out-of-control frizz. B&B’s Defrizz does exactly what you think it does — controls frizz, acts as a barrier to humidity and leaves your hair soft and flyaway-free. Just a little dime-sized drop goes a long way, so it lasts a long time too. Check out your nearby salons to see if they carry Bumble and Bumble products or buy it online at bumbleandbumble.com.

2. Paul Mitchell Extra-Body Sculpting Gel

Another wonderful, yes I say that sarcastically, thing about having fine hair is that you don’t get a lot of volume, even if you have curly hair. Yes, during the summer the humidity gives your hair some volume, but not the volume we’re looking for. Paul Mitchell’s Extra-Body Sculpting Gel gives your hair the perfect volume and thickness that we fine-haired girls need! Available at salons that carry Paul Mitchell, Walmart, and Target.

Course Curly Hair

1.It’s a 10 Miracle Leave In Conditioner

I have many friends with thick, curly hair and they always tell me how hard it is to control it, especially in the summer. One of my friends uses It’s a 10 Miracle Leave In Conditioner and loves the way it looks and feels. Its 10 benefits are: repairs dry, damaged hair, adds shine, smoothens and controls frizz, seals and protects hair color, detangles, prevents split ends, stops hair breakage, creates silkiness, enhances natural body and is a flat iron spray and thermal protector. Now if that doesn’t seal the deal, I don’t know what product will. The reason it’s better for thicker hair is because it’s quite heavy and more than a few sprays on fine hair can make it very limp.

2.Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Calming Crème

For girls with thick, curly hair, the word “calming” should be a great thing to hear in the name of a hair product. My roommate uses this product every day in the summer to keep her curls under control. Just apply to hair after showering and it will dry keeping your curls tame and defined without that icky crunch feeling. Buy this product online at bumbleandbumble.com or check your nearby salon to see if they carry the line.

Straight Hair

1.TIGI Bed Head Head Rush

Girls with curls aren’t the only ones who have trouble with their hair in the summer. Straight hair can look dull, and it’s hard to find products to help. TIGI Bed Head Head Rush is a great lightweight spray that adds shine without leaving hair greasy or “stringy.” Just spray in hair after blowdrying for a nice shine! This product is available at most drugstores, Walmart, Target, and don’t forget to check nearby salons.

2.Tresemmé 24 Hour Finishing Spray

Tresemmé 24 Hour Finishing Spray, like the previous product, adds shine and is very lightweight. However, this product also adds volume that won’t fall flat in the middle of the day. Try it after you curl your hair as well. Just spray after your done styling your hair to keep it looking fabulous all day long. This product is available at most drugstores, Walmart and Target.

Wavy Hair

1.Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray

This Surf Spray is the perfect product to put in your hair to give you that beach look. It adds body and doesn’t way your hair down. What makes this product even better? It works on all hair types — curly or straight. Put it in dry or damp hair and voilà, perfect beach waves. Check out your nearby salons to see if they carry Bumble and Bumble products or buy it online at bumbleandbumble.com.

2.MoroccanOil Curl Control Mousse

This mousse really locks in waves and takes care of frizz and flyaways. Its argan oil-enriched formula works to tame, define and hold. MoroccanOil product Curl Control Mousse helps define waves without leaving you with that stiff, hairspray feeling and it also has a great scent. Check your local salon or buy online at moroccanoil.com