This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Did you know that you can sell your old clothes right from your fingertips? Well if you didn’t, now you do! In the past year, I have been selling my slightly used or never worn clothes on apps like Poshmark, Mercari, DePop, and more. At this point, I’d even consider it my side hustle! Not only is selling your clothes a great way to make an extra buck, but it’s also a sustainable choice for our environment. So, what are you waiting for?! Below, I am going to list some tips and tricks to help you get started.

go through your closet

If you’re anything like me, you can’t quite see the floor of your closet and you haven’t seen it in so long that you don’t even know what’s growing under there. I bet you that there are some items of value in there that you have totally forgotten about! Don’t forget to look through your shoes and handbags, too! It can feel hard to let go of things, but as a rule of thumb, if you forgot you had something and didn’t miss it, it’s probably time you sell it. Also, donate your items that aren’t in good condition or not in style anymore. Nothing is more satisfying then dropping off a garbage bag filled with clothes at your local thrift store!

Save all your delivery packaging

SAVE. EVERY. BOX. Trust me, you will thank yourself later. Once your Poshmark or Mercari closet starts picking up, you’re going to need boxes to ship your items in. You save money (and recycle may I add) by reusing packaging from your last Amazon purchase. Don’t underestimate the power of tissue paper as well. Save those too! It makes your items look much more professional when they arrive at your buyer’s doorstep.

create attractive listings

For someone to want to buy your item, they have to be enticed to click on your listing. Try to find the model photo of the item you are selling. If you’re having trouble finding an image online of your item, then I suggest entering the product number that can sometimes be found on a tag. I find that this looks the most professional and leads to a faster sale. In addition to an online photo, or even if you couldn’t locate one, take photos of your item. I suggest putting the item on a hanger and taking a flash photo of it. Take a photo of the tag as well, in case the customer wants verification of the brand or size. In this portion, it’s also important that you take pictures of any flaws your item has. Any rips, stains, or flaws should be clearly photographed and listed in the caption so that the buyer is aware of its condition. 

package your items with love

Packaging items once they have sold is my favorite part of selling, next to the profit of course. On most re-selling apps, your item must be reviewed by the buyer before the payment goes through. Additionally, potential buyers can see your reviews, and positive reviews can be a selling point if a customer is on the fence. I like to use tissue paper to wrap my item if I have any on hand, and I leave a handwritten thank you note inside the box, telling them to enjoy and review my item. A little goes a long way here!

Happy selling!

Hi! I'm Ashley and I am currently studying Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication at James Madison University. I also have a minor in Political Science. I serve as the JMU Her Campus Chapter's Senior Editor on the Executive Board. Thank you for taking the time to read my articles!