Spring Fever: Tips and Tricks to Prevent it From Happening to You.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It happens every year — the minute we get back from spring break, our minds shut off and spring fever kicks in. Assignments start to fall to the wayside, grades start to plummet and the nice weather keeps us from wanting to be in class. Summer is right around the corner, and instead of solving those algorithm problems for math, we’re trying to figure out which beach is the best one to visit this summer. Never fear, Her Campus is here with a few tips and tricks to help make the semester fly by, and still leave you with plenty of time to figure out your summer plans. 

1. Make a To-Do List with Rewards

Write out all the assignments and activities you have to do that week, and every time a task gets completed, reward yourself. Start by tackling the project that is the toughest so that when you complete it, you can watch an hour of your favorite show before beginning a new task. Or you can knock out the shortest assignments before beginning to tackle the big assignments. But with each task give yourself a little break of achievement, and check it off the list. This will make you feel more productive, with a few rewards along the way.

2. Change of Scenery

Remember at orientation those glossy college brochure photos of students happily studying on the quad? They looked so happy and ready to work. That could be you. Instead of being stuck inside the library or your apartment, go outside or go somewhere new to study. This change of scenery may help your creative juices start flowing and you’ll get assignments done faster. And if not, at least you’re working on your tan…so something is getting done.

3. Keep a Countdown

Break down the semester by starting a countdown. Maybe you could count down how many of those dreaded Econ classes you have left, or how many days it is until summer break. By crossing a day off you will soon realize how little time really is left in the semester. It is also a great way to notice how much time you have for those big end-of-the-year projects, test, etc.

4. Take up Walking or Running

A great way to deal with end-of-semester stress is to take 20 to 30 minutes out of your day and go on a run or even a brisk walk. This can help get your mind off the stress of the assignments ahead while also getting you ready for that summer beach body.

5. Create a New Playlist

This is one of the best motivators to get you prepared to tackle new assignments. Go on Pandora and create a new station, or make a new iTunes playlist with new songs. By having new music to motivate you, you may zone out and just fly through assignments because you can’t wait to hear the next song on your playlist. You can make it to summer break, and do a stellar job these last few weeks of school.

These are just a few tips to get you out of your second half of the semester slump; there are plenty of ways to keep yourself trucking on through to have a strong end to the semester. These tips will help you stay focused and still be able to have your fun while not losing your mind or your GPA.