This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

This singer/songwriter from the west coast landed in Harrisonburg, Virginia and brought with her a guitar and music that truly entertains and inspires all who listen. Her Campus couldn’t pass up the opportunity to interview Savannah as she approaches the end of her first year at JMU!

Name: Savannah Philyaw

Graduation Year: 2017

Hometown: San Diego, California

Major/Minor: SMAD (School of Media Arts and Design) with a minor in Music Industry

Her Campus: You have an EP on iTunes, a Facebook music page which accumulates hundreds of fans, and have been performing for over two years now. When and how did you discover that music was a passion of yours?

Savannah Philyaw: My older brother played guitar, and well, monkey see monkey do. I began in seventh grade in a classical guitar class that was an elective, and while I didn’t like that style as much I realized I loved playing. From there I taught myself chords and began learning covers of songs. Then in eighth grade my class was split into groups and we needed musicians as well as singers. My classmates volunteered (well, forced) me to sing and that’s when I performed for the first time and fell in love with it. I’d been writing in a journal most of my life and songwriting just kind of went along with the whole package.

HC: You’ve performed at many venues throughout San Diego and nearby venues, as well as now in Virginia. Can you tell me about your favorite performance?

SP: My favorite performance was definitely when I had the opportunity to open for Howie Day. I got the call only four days before the performance, which worked out because I didn’t have much of a chance to get nervous, only time to prepare. Everything about it was so exciting. We performed at Anthology in San Diego, and I have to say that was the first time I really felt like an artist. I had my family and my best friend’s family there for support, but the other 200-some people were the ones I focused on reaching out to. At the end my dad called me out and there was a line of people wanting signed CD’s, and I can honestly say I was shocked and ecstatic.

HC: That sounds incredible. Do you have a favorite song to perform?

SP: My song “Uh Uh”, which is on my current EP, is definitely my favorite to perform. I think it’s the catchiest and the one people know the most and I love to hear those who know it sing along when I perform. I just think that even though it’s about heartbreak it gives off a good vibe that people can relate to.

HC: Speaking of good vibes – you’re a very positive person! Despite leaving home and encountering the stresses most freshman in college face, you seem to have a great outlook on life and your music reflects that. Where would you say that comes from?

SP: My dad has always been a huge influence on my outlook on life – his favorite quote is, “It’s not what happens to you, it’s how you interpret it.” I’ve always had a very close relationship with my family and our neighborhood at home which has contributed to the person I’m becoming. I also think humor plays a big part in getting past hardships – sometime you need to laugh off the little things to put tougher times in perspective.

HC: What can we expect from you in the future?

SP: I’m in the process of recording a new EP with a whole new style. I think it really reflects what I want to become as an artist, and even though it’s sort of a genre change from a country style to something a little more modern and unique, I know it’s the right direction for my music to go in. I’ll be performing more around campus; TDU for open mic night on Tuesdays and some other surprises. Oh, and I’ll be performing at Relay for Life on April 12th! I’m really psyched about that.