Road-Trippin’ Aint’ Easy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Arriving at your final destination is not only a great feeling due to the excitement of wherever you are headed to but also because of the dreadful travel of how ever many hours it took you to get there. Road trips can be the most dreadful part of a travel but it doesn’t have to be! After attending a school that is 6 hours south of my home, I have become quite an expert at how to make the trip more fun and also something to look forward to!

Some people go on road trips simply just to sight see or go on an adventure. But there is something about being forced to go on a long drive that does not seem appealing.  There is no way around the long drive back and forth to school so it was important that I knew what I was getting myself into before I headed on the road. There are a few essential keys and tips to the perfect road trip. With this helpful guide hopefully you too can get excited about your long drive to whatever destination may be!

First things first, acknowledge the length of your trip. If you are like me and have a lengthy trip, it is in your best interest to be fully energized and healthy. Going out the night before and drinking yourself into a coma… not the brightest idea. Even Dunkin Donuts and 5 hour energy drinks won’t be able to cure the effects of a brutal hang over. A good nights sleep is crucial to the perfect road trip. There is nothing worse than suffering for countless hours knowing you have no other option than to keep driving.

After you know that your body is fueled you must take care of fueling your car. A full tank of gas is needed so that you don’t have to stop an hour into the trip searching for a gas station off a random exit in an unknown town. The checklist does not end here. You will be doing yourself a huge favor if you are prepared before the drive. Fueling your car is step one. Pick up any type of food or caffeinated beverage that your going to crave so once again you don’t need to stop mid trip. Once you’ve got the food essentials its time to think about where your mind is going to wander for this long trip.

What I have learned from my experience is that by the time you get to the mid way point of your trip, you’ve eaten all of your subway and finished your extra large iced coffee you find yourself at a cross roads (not literally) where you have nothing to do but drive. If your like me and travel by yourself most of the time, its important to plan ahead. Since you won’t have a companion to talk to, you need to fill the void of the awkward silence of you and the open road.

Making the perfect mix tape is a great way to fill this void. Picking the right type of music is also very key. It is pretty obvious that you are going to have the most energy at the beginning of your trip. As the trip begins you should be listening to music that you would like to start the trip with. Pick a favorite band or make a play list of “feel good” music that will get you in a good mood ready to get this trip going. Once you start to lose interest in the trip, it is time to start playing the “pick me up” music.

This music is similar to music that you would listen to at a pre-game or party. The middle of the trip is the hardest. The halfway point can be the worst part because you reflect on the amount of hours you’ve driven and realize that you need to do it all over again. This play list should be the lengthiest so that you have a plethora of uplifting music to get you back in the groove of this really fun road trip!

Towards the end of the trip you can start your third play list. This play list should include songs that remind you of your destination. If your road tripping to visit a friend, play songs that remind you of memories you’ve shared together. If you’re road tripping home, listen to songs that remind you of where you’re from. This play list is designed to get you excited for your final destination! Here’s my ultimate road trip play list.

Play list 1:

America, Simon & Garfunkel
Dream, The Cranberries
Come Sail Away, Styx
Picture, Filter
Free Fallin, John Mayer
What’s My Age Again, Blink 182
Times Like These, Foo Fighters
Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve

Play list 2:

Drop it Low, Ester Dean
Basshead, Bassnectar
Escape Me, Tiesto
Teach Me How to Dougie, Cali Swag District
Bass Down Low, The Cataracs
Look at Me Now, Chris Brown
In the Cut, Wiz Khalifa
Brooklyn Girls, Charles Hamilton

Play list 3:
Empire State of Mind, Jay- Z
Baba O’Riley, The Who
Doin’ Time, Sublime
Ramble On, Led Zepplin
Here Comes the Sun, The Beatles
In The Middle of the Night, Billy Joel
Beautiful Day, U2
American Girl, Tom Petty
Hangin’ Around, Counting Crows

Even for music lovers like myself, music can’t completely side track you from the dreaded drive. It is important to let you mind wander. I’ve done some of my best thinking and soul searching when I was alone on the open road. Whether you use this time to brainstorm, plan you a hectic week coming up for study for an upcoming test, it would be very resourceful to use this time wisely. Having the right frame of mind could be the difference between having a great trip and a miserable trip. Whether you are by yourself or with a friend, this time can be used to bond with someone or even catch up over a phone call (hands free of course).

Road trips are also great for releasing your creative side. If you’re going to be on the road for a long time, might as well make the most of it. You’d be surprised at the things your mind can come up with when you have too much time on your hands. Ditch those “punch buggy no punch back” car games and get creative with that noggin. Bring a camera and document your journey.

Even if it is as simple as a drive down to school from Long Island, NY to Harrisonburg, VA, photography always seems to put things into perspective. Take pictures of the crazy things you see on the side of the highway. Or change it up and document the simplicity of the wide-open fields filled with endless amounts of cows. When you look back on your trip you’ll have memories that you may not have been able to remember without that Nikon.

Also an important tip is to know your surroundings! GPS can be helpful, but be expected for the worst! Have a little knowledge on where you’re headed just in case any accidents happen. Knowing major cities that are near by might just save your trip if you are lost. Also, knowing the speed limit is SO important. Of course there will be signs every few miles reminding you of the limit, but being pulled over by a cop may be the worst thing to happen to your road trip. Nothing ruins a party more than the po!

Looking back I wish I could have taken more advantage of the times I spent driving up and down the coast. Most road trips are dreaded but with a positive attitude, the road trip can be just as fun as the trip itself. I know it may seem strange to say you had a “productive road trip” but it really can be done! Not only will the time fly but also you might even feel better afterwards. Some of the best thinking is done when you’re by yourself and you have no worries or obligations other than just letting the time pass. So before you buckle up, get prepared and get excited because you’re about the have the BEST ROAD TRIP EVER!

Sarah Robertson is a senior at James Madison University, with a major in Writing and Rhetoric and minor in Creative Writing. She is involved in the Public Relations Student Society of America, Society for Technical Communicators, as well as Sigma Kappa sorority where she serves as a member on the Judicial Board. At JMU, she is also a member on the e-Vision editorial board. She is from a small town in the Northern Neck of Virginia where she can't get enough of the hidden beaches and spectacular sunsets it has to offer. Sarah is currently interning in New York City at a radio network, Dial-Global, where she hopes to gain experience in broadcasting. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys reading fashion magazines cover-to-cover, learning how to cook without smoking out a house, as well as finding gems in thrift stores. She takes pleasure in writing and blogging while listening to great music including two of her favorites: John Butler Trio and Phoenix. After college, Sarah plans to attend journalism school to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and she hopes to eventally work for Vanity Fair.