This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again–blossoming flowers and budding trees are great for our spirits but not for our noses. Don’t let springtime allergies stop you from enjoying the beautiful weather this year! 50 million American adults and children suffer from seasonal allergies, but you don’t have to be one of them! Keep these tips in mind to help combat your symptoms.

1. Close Windows and Use the Air Conditioner

This tip is simple, but makes a big difference. Keep pollen out of your room by closing the windows. Also, turning on the AC reduces up to 90% of allergens from indoor air. Be sure to replace furnace and air conditioner filters every three months to maximize air circulation.

2. Shower Nightly and Wash Your Clothes

Each time you enter your dorm, you are bringing in allergens from the outdoor world. Shower (especially before bed) and change your clothes before getting too comfortable to help reduce the spread of allergens.

3. Drink Fluids

Just another benefit of drinking more water! Flush out your system by drinking more liquids. This is especially helpful for symptoms such as postnasal drip and congestion. Hot liquids such as tea or soup have the extra soothing benefit of steam, which can help you feel better.

4. Neti Pots

Nasal irrigation is a popular method for easing allergies. A neti pot uses gravity to flush out the nasal cavities with a saline solution. However, remember that this method does not get rid of pollen – it just reduces the mucus buildup from the nose.

5. See an Allergist

If you’ve tried different remedies and are still having a hard time coping, consider visiting an allergist. Doctors can help you find medicine or other options to make your allergies more bearable.

Senior double majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication. Lover of thick duvet covers, homemade soup, untouched snow, and all things literary. 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.