This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Heading back to school after break is always bittersweet. You’re sad to be leaving behind your family, but you’re also sick of not being in your own space with your own rules and your friends. After the sappy goodbyes and I love yous, it’s time to get in the car and get back to the promised land.

Driving down the street away from your house, you’re so ready. Music playing, solid ETA and plans for tonight are in the making.

You’re on the highway, traffic is moving better than you expected, this is going to be an easy trip, no worries this time.

This is going really well, which can only mean one thing, it’s time for a jam sesh.  Nothing can stop you, you’re a goddess with as much talent as Adele.

Okay, it’s a holiday weekend, a little traffic was expected…no worries, you’re still on track.

DO NOT FREAK OUT. Waze said it’ll only last 15 minutes, no biggie.

Safe to freak out, I repeat safe to freak out. You’ve officially been in park on the highway for 45 minutes and see no movement in your near future.

As you begin to realize your plans tonight aren’t going to happen, you go full on crazy:

Maybe I should just turn around and try again tomorrow?
Why did I go to school so far away?

I can stay at a hotel, that’s a valid emergency credit card charge, right?

Then, after what felt like hours (or maybe it actually took hours), you’re moving again.

After a long day you return home: drained, starving and in dire need of a shower. But your mood drastically changes when you reunite with your roommates — you could barely handle a week apart — how did I ever live without you????

As the night finally winds down, you’re all set for bed — and it hits you like a ton of bricks: schoolwork. You had all these plans to get on track for finals but somehow didn’t open your backpack once … Oh well, better luck next time, it’ll be Christmas before you know it.

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.