jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Play-by-Play of An (ex)Fangirl’s Reaction to 1D’s History Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

One Direction may be on a “break” but it didn’t stop them from releasing their new music video “History”. Let me tell you as an (ex)fangirl, it will make Directioners (old and new) want to stop the tapes and rewind. Just for the record, let me clarify the term “(ex)fangirl”. Don’t get me wrong: I love the boys and all but with school and stuff going on, hardcore “fangirling” got put on the back burner. Carrying on, if you haven’t been with the boys since the beginning (or watched their old videos) the new music video may be a bit confusing. That’s because it takes clips from their video diaries, old music video, and concerts throughout their musical career.  As a Directioner, watching the video brought back so many emotions. Here is a play-by-play of my reactions.

When you first see young One Direction on screen from their X-Factor days:

Realizing that Zayn is in the videos and remembering the good old days:

Seeing Niall in glasses:

Seeing the footage from the old video diaries/video premieres:

And still remembering how the videos went:

Seeing fetus Harry with his curls:

Seeing concert footage from the Up All Night tour:

Remembering when you saw them live:

Seeing all you “ships” together:

Getting out of your feels for a moment because you’re jamming to the song:

Seeing snippets of the all the music videos:

When you really connect to the lyric “this is not the end”:

Watching them do a group dance move:

Remembering all their group dance moves:

Seeing faces of crying fans and realizing you were once one of them (or still are):

Finally when the video is finished and you realize that this was the Perfect way for 1D to Love You Goodbye, after you spent years staying Up All Night making Midnight Memories with the boys who Stole My Heart and filled you with Moments you’ll never forget. Remembering all the Little Things you did as a fangirl was Something Great and will go down in History, at least to you.

So thank you boys for one heck of a music video. If you haven’t seen it watch it here:

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.
Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!