My Semester Abroad: Oktoberfest!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

September 20

TODAY’S THE DAY

I am so impatient to find out what the weekend holds for me. Though we had to sit in on a lecture that pushed me back two hours of preparation time, I’m getting antsy, anxious, nervous; everything that describes months worth of anticipation for this day. The former president of the European Union came and talked to the JMU undergrad and graduate students. It was a totally awesome experience, especially when I realized who he was. This was just another experience/encounter that I’ve had that has impacted me a lot. This trip just continually reminds me of how amazing travel is. And the fact that I am a student here — a student in Florence, Italy — is the most amazing thing to come to terms with.

SO, done with the lecture — we just got back to our home-stay to pack for our three-day journey in Germany for a time of adventure, beer drinking and absorbing the Oktoberfest experience.

Here we goooooo!

September 24
And we’re back, alive and nostalgic

Ahhhh, back to Firenze. It’s nice to be home! As much as I absolutely loved and enjoyed every second of Germany, it’s nice to sit in my cushiony bed and to relax. I’ll give a bit of a synopsis of my time in Munich, but I’ll warn you: this past weekend was what it was because I experienced it so it may be one of those “you had to be there” sort of stories.

We arrived in Munich at the Stoke/Bus 2 Alps campsite at 8 a.m. Upon arrival, I proudly drank a welcome beer, not because I wanted it…it was 8 a.m.…but because it was a celebratory drink to kick off the weekend. We got to the tent, where I spent such little time in, and hit up the “kitchen” for some toast and chili. After we ate, the group I traveled with and I headed out on a bus then got on a train into the city of Munich. We ventured around for a couple of hours, ate some bratwurst, drank some beer then set off for our four-hour-long bike tour. Best decision. The bike tour was amazing; if you ever find yourself in Munich, go to Frankie’s for a bike tour. Luckily, it was free for my bus2alps group, but however much it costs, it’s so worth it. I totally had no idea Munich was so beautiful. We biked all around to many plazas, to a beer garden and through the main park, which is bigger than Central Park! Our tour leader was awesome. He was so educated and also a fun guy to enjoy some steins with.

After the bike tour, we ventured around a little longer then headed back to the campsite. Working the train and bus system was nerve wrecking at first but it ended up being extremely simple. Figuring it all out made me feel a lot more comfortable for my future travels. Getting back to the campsite was relieving and extremely welcoming due to the fact everyone was already drinking and partying at the campsite. It was a fun Friday night with a bunch of mixed cultured people getting to know each other. It was such a cool set-up. There were tents everywhere, bathrooms and shower rooms, and a party tent. I especially was reminded that we were outdoor when it started pouring down rain early Saturday morning.

September 22
Oktoberrainfest

Since we were going to Oktoberfest the very first weekend it was open, we all knew we had to get there early in order to get a spot in a beer tent. I wanted to get there without a pre-conceived idea of what it would be like. The mayor doesn’t tap the keg until noon at the Hippodrome tent, so it being 9 a.m. and me being drenched in the pouring down rain, my attitude wasn’t exactly the happiest it could have been. So we sat in the rain and waited. Noon came around and we got beers. Because the rain was failing to cease, we left Oktoberfest and went into the city of Munich and got beers and food at the Haufbrau Haus. That was another good decision. We hung out there for a good bit then headed back to Oktoberfest while the weather was right.

September 23
Afternoon departure

Making a last minute decision, a friend of mine and I headed out to Oktoberfest from our campsite to meet up with some friends before we had to get on our bus ride back to Florence. It was around 11 a.m. when we got seated and situated at one of the beer tents at the festival. Drinking, chanting the prosting song and enjoying the moments together at Oktoberfest was just what we needed to end our three-day adventure in Germany. How many people can say they camped out in Germany, drank steins at Oktoberfest for two days, and bike toured around the city of Munich? Maybe more than I can imagine, but all I know is that I experienced it and now it’s just another activity to scratch off of my bucket list. Auf Wiedersehen Germany!

Another note: Riding the bus back to Florence wasn’t the most pleasant but looking out the window to see the breathtaking Alps was astonishing.

Ciao Ciao Bellas!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.