etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Goals For This Semester (and some more ideas for you)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With this spring semester in full swing, it’s time to set (and keep) some goals. I love having personal development goals that I work on all semester. It kind of feels like a challenge, and I never turn down a good challenge. So I gave myself a few challenges for this semester to make it the best one yet. 

Do Things That Scare Me 

I realized that I often step down from things that scare me. Weather it be talking to that cute boy in my class or taking a TRX class at the gym… I like to push things that scare my to the back of my mind and avoid them forever. Well that ends now! I am doing things that scare me. For example, I am in a creative writing class this semester that terrifies me because we spend a full 50 minutes workshopping each person’s 10-15 page short story. I considered dropping that class or changing the professor in hopes of getting a less daunting class. That is… until I remembered that I am doing things that scare me. So I am fully committed to this class and will be writing short stories that get picked apart by my whole class, but it’s a challenge and all I have to say is “challenge accepted.” 

Say “Yes” More 

Anyone who knows me knows I have FOMO (fear of missing out) and I have it bad. I have a FOMO button on my backpack and talk about it all the time. I rarely turn down a chance to hang out with friends or go on a trip, but I wanted to incorporate this more into my work life. With classes, jobs, and other life opportunities I want to be open to saying YES! Over winter break my dad made my family watch the movie Yes Man (it’s on Netflix and I would recommend). It is about a man who is challenged to say to everything. It was amazing to see all of the opportunities that presented themselves after he started saying “yes” so I decided to take on this challenge as well. I guess this ties back into my last goal of doing things that scare me, because I am saying yes to things I would usually turn down (as long as they are not dangerous, negatively affect my education, etc.).

Focus on Me

I want to find more ways to incorporate self love into my daily life. Weather this be going to the gym more (find me at a TRX class soon) or sleeping in when I need it (I slept in until 10 today and it’s a Tuesday!) I am doing stuff for me. I am the center of my world, and you are the center of yours. 

Dance More

As a dancer of 16 years, coming to college and cutting it out of my life cold turkey was weird. I had a broken leg (long story) so never got the chance to audition of a dance club, and by the time spring auditions came around my plate was full with sorority events, College Mentors, and a pretty heavy course load. Well this semester I am dancing again. I am auditioning for Greek Sing (a dance competition all sororities and fraternities compete in at my school), taking more Zumba classes, and just putting on some Taylor Swift and dancing around my room when I need a quick pick me up. 

Other goals I am not using this semester but some of my friends are:

Wear Leggings Once a Week 

Wow! My friend told me she is going to try this out this semester. While I don’t think this is possible for me (bc I go straight from the gym to class a lot…so sorry to the people who sit next to me) I love that she is challenging herself. I do try to dress like the best version of me would, so when I can, I put on some makeup (because it makes me feel confident) and a cute top and jeans (that’s right I wear jeans to class). Dressing like the best version of yourself is a great way to build confidence and level up in life.

Be Healthier 

So take this one with caution. I did not want to make this a semester goals because it is more of a lifestyle goal for me. I am always trying to live a healthy life. But it could be helpful to dedicate a semester to setting this lifestyle into action. Put the gym in your daily calendar (for me it helps to take classes where they fine you if you don’t show up). Also eat healthy because you want to be healthy. Realize how much better you will feel if you  fuel your body with healthy food, and become addicted to that feeling.

I hope you are feeling so inspired to set some goals and make this semester an amazing one!

XOXO, 

Gracie

Grace is a Senior Media Art and Design major at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. She has lived in Virginia her whole life, but plans on moving to New York City after graduation. Gracie loves to travel and plans on being a travel writer post-grad. Her favorite places to visit were either Munich, Germany, or Cusco, Peru. Besides Her Campus, Gracie is in Gamma Phi Beta, works as the Creative Coordinator for Bluestone Communications JMU, and writes for the culture section of The Breeze, JMU's newspaper.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.