My favorite comfort movies to watch in the springtime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With a seemingly never-ending winter season behind us, it’s hard to believe that spring is finally here! Flowers and trees will start to bloom again, and sunny skies and warm weather will start to ring in the end of the school year. With spring being a season of “rebirth,” it’ll seem like our campus has been reborn once the season starts rolling in.

One of my favorite things to do to welcome spring is watching some of my favorite movies that remind me of springtime. If any of these movies aren’t on your spring line-up, give them a watch and they’re sure to help you feel ready to welcome spring with open arms!

pRIDE AND pREJUDICE (2005)

I had to start my list with this movie, which is one of my favorite movies to watch with friends and family. Just the opening scene itself will help you feel more refreshed, showing a sunrise over a calm springtime meadow. At the end of the movie, it seems that a huge burden is lifted, when the characters reconcile and everything falls into place, just like how many of us feel when the winter season turns into spring. My favorite part of this film is the musical score – the perfect soundtrack to listen to when walking through a garden or when you’re stuck in the library studying for finals. This movie is so light and calming, and it is sure to help you feel relaxed and ready for the spring season.

You can watch this movie on: HBO Max

Tinker bell (2008)

Even though this movie is more for kids than college girls like us, it’s the perfect movie for spring – the whole movie is about the spring season coming soon! Fairies with all different talents and backgrounds are working together to bring the spring season to the “mainland,” our human world. The movie explains that’s how the change of the seasons happens! Tinker Bell thinks she wants to be like the other fairies and have a special nature-related talent to welcome spring, but she finds her true self and her true purpose by looking within herself. Flower gardens, rainbows, and animals coming out of hibernation are just a few of the many things that the fairies bring to the mainland to help them (and us) welcome spring!

You can watch this movie on: Disney+

High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008)

It’s the end of the school year, and all of the East High seniors are busy trying to figure out their lives beyond high school – where to go to college, what to study. Looming over all their heads is the final spring musical, which little do they know will bring the entire student body together for one last celebration before graduation. Even though the HSM series follows high schoolers, college students are faced with a similar situation after graduation – facing the unknown, accepting that the choices you make will have big consequences on your life, and that all you can do is rely on the skills you learned in college to help you succeed. You can watch this movie this spring to get your nostalgic juices flowing and help you reflect on your time as a college student – how you’ve grown and changed, just as the seasons do.

You can watch this movie on: Disney+

The Sound of Music (1965)

A rebirth of a family’s love for music comes with the arrival of a new governess (played by Julie Andrews) to the Von Trapp family. Based on a true story and set against the backdrop of the beautiful Austrian mountains in the spring, Maria lets the Von Trapp children run and sing in defiance of rules and regulations set by their father. This helps them embrace the season after being cooped up in the house for so long with these confinements. The allegory of rebirth appears throughout the movie, with the family experiencing many instances of newfound freedom. Just as Maria sings, one of my favorite things is also “silver-white winters that melt into springs!”

You can watch this movie on: Disney+

Steel Magnolias (1988)

This movie is my all-time favorite springtime movie. It follows a group of women in a small Southern town who experience love, loss, and rebirth within their community as the seasons come and go. My mom and I always watch this movie on Easter, as the women in the movie celebrate Easter at the beginning and end of the movie. If you don’t celebrate Easter, even just seeing all the pink flowers and leafy magnolia trees in the background of each scene will get you in a springtime mood. Plus, the movie has an all-star cast Dolly Parton and Julia Roberts – what more could you need for a comfort movie?

You can watch this movie on: Starz

Tangled (2010)

One of the certified comfort movies of our generation, Tangled is all about accepting change and doing what your heart desires, two things that the spring season is perfect for! This is such a lighthearted movie that is a classic within our generation for a reason. One of the things I’m looking forward to in the spring is walking in the grass in my bare feet, just like when Rapunzel first steps out of her tower. When the sun finally peeks its way out from behind the clouds this spring season, you’ll find yourself singing “At last, I see the light!”

You can watch this movie on: Disney+

All of these movies have the same thing in common, and it’s not just the flowers and warm weather – all of them show a “rerbirth” within the story or characters. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy set their “prides and prejudices” for each other aside, Maria brings music back into the Von Trapp household, and Rapunzel finally escapes her tower and her guardian’s care. These movies are quintessential to add to your springtime movie line-up!

Hi! My name is Delilah Orazi and I am a junior elementary education major at JMU. I love all things Disney, visiting coffee shops and bookstores, and hanging out with my cats.