This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Jackets are the perfect way to transition your wardrobe over to fall style. They quickly dress up a simple day-to-day outfit, are easy to accessorize with, and keep you warm – they’re practical. You can wear a pair of sweats and a white tee but throw on an oversized denim jacket and some gold jewelry, and you’re golden (this will be my uniform this fall season). There are so many types of great jackets out there to give you a range of looks. Here’s the breakdown of the ones I think are worth investing in…

Denim Jackets

A given, but they are classic, timeless and will NEVER go out of style. You can play around with different looks; distressed, light-wash, black denim (my next purchase), oversized, etc. They are a fall must and you can find them just about anywhere. Thrift stores usually have the best selection because they are a little worn in, which adds a lot to their look and feel, AND you won’t be breakin’ the bank.

Leather Jackets (faux, of course)

Another great piece that can be styled in a variety of ways, leather jackets. It gives you an edge. They’re great for layering, dressing up or down. They are super versatile. You can go the casual route with a white tee and some jeans or sweats, or you can go full on Sandy from Grease. The choice is yours. 

Utility Jackets

These are a nice trendy piece that actually keep you warm because, let’s be honest, that should be the initial purpose. My personal favorites are the olive green and beige ones. They add some color to your wardrobe while still remaining neutral. A must on my rack for sure. 

Sherpa-lined Jackets

These are more of a vintage-classic but are still very in and practical. My personal favorites are the Sherpa-lined tan corduroys (pictured below, also on my list to purchase). They add a that 80s, Nancy Wheeler from Stranger Things vibe – very retro. 

Stay warm & fashion forward this fall season, xx

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.