Meagan Roberts ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Meagan Roberts

Year: Sophomore

Major: Anthropology

Hometown: Harrisonburg, Virginia

What are you involved in on campus?

I’ve done gymnastics pretty much my whole life so I do club gymnastics here. It’s nice to be a part of something because I recently transferred to JMU.

What is your favorite thing about JMU?

I love how much school spirit there is. Everyone is so proud to be a duke and it’s really heartwarming. All of the people I’ve met here have been really nice and welcoming to me. Whenever I tell people that my dad owns Chanello’s Pizza they usually freak out and get really excited. I remember one day I was walking out of Duke’s and a guy was talking to his friend. When I passed them he turned to his friend and said, “I know her, her dad owns Chanello’s”. I thought that was pretty funny.

What is a fun fact about yourself?

When I was growing up my brother and I used to spend the night in the store when my parents worked on the weekends and we couldn’t get a babysitter. I used to come in with a sleeping bag and my pajamas on and sleep on the flour bags in the back. On snow days my brother and I would play outside in the snow in the parking lot across the street where my parents could still see us. I’m pretty sure we stayed up too late as kids but it was really fun.

What is your favorite thing about having a connection to Chanello’s?

I always get free pizza! I have a running joke with my friends that the only reason they keep me around is because I can get them free food.

How do you help with the family business?

I’m a delivery driver but I help out wherever I can. Some nights I’ll answer phones or I’ll run dayshift and make the food. When I was little I used to help my dad pass out free pizza to incoming freshmen when they walked through Duke Dog Alley. I was nine years old and walking around with boxes of pizza surrounded by college kids with my little Chanello’s hat on. EVERYONE wanted pizza from me.

What 3 songs are at the top of your delivery playlist?

Right now it’s John Wayne by Lady Gaga, Alright by Logic, and Party Monster by The Weeknd.

Favorite item on the Chanello’s menu?

Cheesy bread is my life.

Senior double majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication. Lover of thick duvet covers, homemade soup, untouched snow, and all things literary. 
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.