Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

La-La Season is Finally Here: Gilmore Girls Episodes for your Fall Binge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
S1 E9 – Rory’s Dance

This episode perfectly encapsulates high school naiveté and the innocence of a first relationship. I also love this episode for its writing– notably during the fight between Lorelai and Emily– where they argue over what being a good mother is and how each of them have failed at it in their own ways. With the balance of sweet high-school drama at a dance and generational resentment, this episode is a must-watch.

dance

S2 E4 – The Road Trip to Harvard

This is the perfect episode for touring high-school juniors! Even once you’re past that era, though, this episode always feels nostalgic in a way. Rory envisions her life at Harvard, romanticizing the college girl life (which we are all guilty of), and feels hopeful for her future. This episode is one I always gravitate toward for a light watch.

harvard

S2 E21 – Lorelai’s Graduation Day

Even though I am not Team Jess, this is hands-down my favorite Gilmore Girls episode. The dynamic between Rory and Jess is just so sweet. I mean, that goodbye at the bus is enough to rank it #1. Even though their moments were very wholesome together, it resulted in Rory missing her mom’s graduation day. If you can’t tell yet, a generous mix of angst and sweetness is the perfect recipe for a good Gilmore Girls episode.grad2

S3 E7 – They Shoot Gilmores, Don’t They?

This episode is the explosion of the love triangle between Rory, Dean and Jess. At a dance marathon, Jess’ appearance was enough to cause Dean’s bubbling anger to boil over. Though he was very public, was he wrong about any of it? I mean, Rory cheated on the guy with Jess, continued to choose Jess over him, and still stayed with him, knowing full well she did not want to be. I am not Team Dean, but I am Team Rory-Getting-Put-in-Her-Place. Who doesn’t love a good love triangle coming undone?

S4 E2 – The Lorelais’ First Day at Yale

I watched this episode the night before move-in day with my mom, so it is very sentimental to me. With that said, she did not sleep in my dorm for my first night (I mean, seriously, who would do that? How was there even room?). This episode is a perfect goodbye to the Chilton era of GIlmore Girls!

yale 

S4 E22 – Raincoats and Recipes

Ladies and gentlemen, the episode where Luke and Lorelai finally kiss. Their slow burn made my hair turn gray. Was the wait worth it, though? Yes, absolutely, yes! Something else notable about this episode is that it contains the moment when Rory Gilmore becomes the Other Woman. Rory attempting (and failing) to defend herself to Lorelai after sleeping with her married ex-boyfriend is a moment where the viewer really stops and thinks to themselves– how did Rory get here? The kiss and the fight make this episode so, so worth it.Gilmore Girls Lorelai Gilmore and Luke Danes Complete Relationship Timeline Sealed With a Kiss

S5 E13 – Wedding Bell Blues

Drama, drama, drama. So much goes on in this episode! Emily and Richard renew their vows, Rory takes initiative and kisses Logan, and Christopher and Luke fight over who was more of a father to Rory. This is one I never get tired of watching, and I will forever sing its praises.

Rory Drinking Champagne Wedding Bell Blues Gilmore Girls 

S6 E8 – Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out

I’ve ranked this episode here solely for Jess’ iconic “Why did you drop out of Yale?” speech. This episode is known to be one that divides the Team Jess and Team Logan girls (I am a proud Logan defender). Finally, Rory has an epiphany that maybe dropping out of Yale was not the best idea. This episode has a great mix of drama (the angst between Jess and Logan is palpable) and relief for the viewer that Rory is finally headed on the right track… though she never stays on it for very long!

S6 E22 – Partings

This is probably the most biased recommendation on this list. I have ranked this one here solely because of the goodbye scene between Logan and Rory before he heads off to London. That’s all.

S7 E22 – Bon Voyage

This episode makes me cry like a baby every time I watch it. The viewers finally get the Luke and Lorelai closure they have been wanting for years, a satisfying send-off for Rory, and a comforting goodbye for the fans, the town of Stars Hollow, and the quirky characters that make the show what it is. The perfect finale to a perfect comfort show!

Rory and Lorelai at Lukes diner Bon Voyage Gilmore Girls

Amanda is a freshman Writing and Rhetoric major with a Creative Writing minor at James Madison University. Amanda loves binge-watching "Sex and the City", drinking iced lattes, cuddling cats, reading romance and thriller novels, and listening to music (Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, Gracie Abrams, and Olivia Rodrigo mostly). Ultimately, Amanda wishes to pursue a career involving writing, reading, editing, or publishing.