Jake Williams & Steps: The Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
Jake Williams (right) – Image from The Breeze, JMU’s Newspaper

Many people graduate from college with big dreams about their future and a long list of accomplishments and milestones they wish to achieve. This week’s campus celebrity is already on his way to success and, from this collegiette’s perspective, a career filled with passion and fulfillment. His resume already includes photography freelance work for Median Magazine, an internship with Code Entertainment in Los Angeles, and a student job with the JMU Marketing department. I sat down with Jake Williams in JMU’s Carrier Starbucks and we talked about his major, his experience at James Madison University, and his latest project – a feature length film entitled “Steps.”

Check out an awesome un-cut clip from the film and hear Jake talk about the project a bit more.

From Boston, MA, Jake is in his fifth and final year at James Madison. He is a Media Arts and Design major with a Digital Video & Cinema concentration and a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.

Jake’s passion for film and photography can be traced back to a few experiences in his undergraduate career. One opportunity that students of the Media Arts and Design major can apply for is a summer internship/study abroad program in LA. This academic program is extremely competitive and so to be accepted, by itself, is a great achievement. Interning at Code Entertainment gave Jake the opportunity to work closely under top film executives. His work there included script coverage and conceptual development as well as pitching ideas for reality TV programming. One of Jake’s first pitches – a show based around his friend’s car and race shop – was in the works for a while and led him to do some freelance photography and filming, some of which ended up in Median Magazine. As part of another opportunity, Jake’s video about AEPi was accepted as the official rush video a few summers ago. But perhaps the most relevant experience leading up to Jake’s work now was his job at JMU Marketing where he met some of his partners on the “Steps” project.

Actress Lisa Fox.

Jake describes his journey leading up to “Steps” in two phases. The first was his attendance to a film festival in Cape Cod where a like-minded, inspiring director gave him advice: This is the time in our lives to go after our dreams and to make things happen. The second phase incorporates Jake’s collaborations with his friends and members of the community. Every part of the film so far has been made possible through collaboration and hard work. Tracks from the score have been originally produced by some of his childhood friends, original art has been contributed from local artists, and the actors, videographers, and editors of the film are all JMU students. The movie is being produced through Jake’s business, Oldowan Media. As explained on his site, “Oldowan tools are the earliest stone tools in human history and mark the beginning of a new era of human creativity.”

Painting by Zoe Cooper.

In our interview, Jake explained that what he is most proud of and most excited of as a result of this project, is the ability to provide other students and community members with an outlet for their untapped creative abilites. He explained his passion for innovation and believes that with passion and the confidence to seek out what you love, you can accomplish anything. The third phase of the film is happening now and Jake and his friends need our help and participation to reach their end goal. The film explores themes of nature, light and dark, journeys, and finding your passion. The script has been so well thought out from the props, to color psychology, and even the meaning behind the character’s names. This isn’t your average student film. It’s surely on its way to becoming something extraordinary.

Definitely check out the Steps Facebook and official Kickstarter page to learn more and to get involved! Her Campus JMU will keep you updated with the film’s progress throughout the year.

“If you follow your heart, you’ll find yourself, and be exactly where you’re supposed to be…”