Interview with the President of Phi Sigma Sigma!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I had an interview with Jackie Mendez, a sophomore Communications major with a Human Resources and Development minor. She was appointed as the very first president of James Madison’s newest sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma.

How does it feel to be a founding member of Phi Sig? “It feels amazing to be part of a new chapter on campus. It’s been a lot of hard work but in the end it will be worth it!”

Since Phi Sig is new to JMU this year, what is something you would like people to know about your sorority? “Just because we’re new doesn’t make us any different than another established chapter.”

Do you have any leadership advice? “Being the first president of a new chapter was definitely tough at first not knowing if everyone was going to like me or respect me. So the leadership advice I would give is to never let “power” get the best of you. You are meant to lead and guide people, not to rule anyone. Always get to know who you are a leader for and always be open to listening to others ideas and critiques.”

Now for the fun questions…

If you could be any color in a box of crayons, which color would you be and why? “Definitely white because no one really uses it so I can stay in one piece.”

Do you prefer texting or snapchat? “Texting, because I like using the special effects and voice texts.”

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently? “This was a ‘you had to be there moment’ but my two roommates and I decided to scare my other roommate so we pulled a prank on her.”

If you could travel anywhere in the world for free, where would you go? “The Maldives!! I heard they might disappear because of water rising so I would love to go there.”

School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.