Indulge Your Inner Manipulator with These 3 Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

This winter season has delivered many cold days with no end in sight. To pass the time a little quicker, here are three shows on Hulu that I found myself wrapped in a blanket and addicted to watching. If Valentine’s Day didn’t go quite as planned, these lying and murder-inspired shows might just appease your desire for revenge!

1) TELL ME LIEs

1 season, 10 episodes each about 50mins

In this college drama, each character plays an interesting role. The college setting makes the characters relatable and the social dynamics are accurate yet intricate. The show does a great job of foreshadowing for the audience, so whether you are surprised or simply anticipating a bomb to drop, you are on the edge of your seat. The plot starts in the first episode and builds a foundation for the rest of the season. I did find some parts to be slow, but after a long day of classes, I enjoy giving my brain a break. This is definitely great to watch from a college student’s perspective as you can enjoy the plot while seeing their lives mirror yours.

2) Candy

1 season, 5 episodes each about 50mins

I actually started watching this show on accident because I clicked this one instead of Tell Me Lies. It was a happy mistake though because I instantly added it to my watch list. It’s set in the 90s and I was very confused about what was happening until I realized this was not in fact the show I had been watching before. From the very first scene, the vibes were so interesting that I knew this show would be something I would continue. The lighting, music, and characters contrasted so greatly with the modern college students in Tell Me Lies. It was refreshing to have a different cinematic style and the plot only made this show better. Not to give anything away, but the main story centers around a murder that occurs within a small town. The plot follows the days leading up to the murder and the investigation all from the perspective of Candy who is a housewife. I discovered that this story is based on true events which just makes it even creepier (and all the better). The show is similar to Tell Me Lies in that the plot begins within the very first episode and then builds off itself from there. You know what’s coming the entire time, yet the ending still pulls off a twist. I highly recommend it as a quick intermission on your watchlist to refresh your stream of typical modernly set shows.

3) The dropout

1 season, 8 episodes each about 50mins.

Before you get any ideas, this show is not supporting dropping out of college. Sorry. But it does follow a brilliant Stanford student named Elizabeth Holmes who drops out to build a biotech company. The company, Theranos, claims to be able to make over a hundred diagnoses with only a drop of blood. Not only is this convenient and cheap but it saves people, such as cancer patients, from constantly being drained of blood. While this seems like a brilliant idea and the company continues to grow traction, they never quite get a working prototype. Instead, investors and companies rely on their faked test results. Much like the other 2 shows, this show begins with a glimpse into the future. The first scene depicts Elizabeth’s interrogation for the failure of her business. It then starts from the very beginning with her attending Stanford and spins a complex and interesting story as we watch her build a company and her life around a false base. It is definitely entertaining, and the constant lying and manipulation make it completely addicting.

I am a freshman JMU nursing student. I enjoy playing soccer, playing with any and all animals, writing/reading, and watching the Office (many people would agree with me… its the best show ever).