This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

A persons’ love language is the way that they love others, and how they interpret love in return. Knowing and acknowledging your love language is imperative to the success of any relationship, whether it be sexual or simply a friendship. Communication is a key part of any relationship, but without the ability to effectively show each other then it will inevitably fail. The ability to identify yours, as well as your partners, love language improves the bonds between all involved.

5 Types of Love Languages:

1.Words of Affirmation: This language focuses on the positive reinforcement from their partner. The person would feel love through verbal as well as written forms of love such as love notes, or even a kind voicemail.

Ex: You look great today!

You did an amazing job today. 

I’m so proud of you.

2. Quality Time: This form of love language focuses on spending completely undivided time with your partner. No technology or distractions. A person whose main love language is quality time finds the most value in being the center of attention of the person they love. Listening and open communication would be incredibly important to someone who feels love through this language.

Ex: Just sitting together on the couch. 

Going to a quiet dinner together. 

Going for a walk together.

3. Receiving Gifts: A person who relates to this love language would feel that actions are more important than words. They would feel that if their partner went out of their way to go and pick out a gift specifically for them then it shows exactly how much they are loved.

Ex: Giving you a gift randomly that just because they were thinking of you. 

Partner went away on a business trip and brought you something. 

Picking up your favorite candy on their way home from work.

4. Physical Touch: Those who feel love through physical touch find the value in physical connection. This form of love is the most direct version of all the love languages. The feeling of touch is calming and reassuring to the giver as well as the receiver, for it creates a tangible connection between both parties.

Ex: Holding hands when you’re out in public. 

Offering hugs or kisses at random moments.

Giving your partner a random back massage.

5. Acts of Service: This final love language could be anything that makes the life of the person easier. These simple forms of assistance are physical examples of how much they care.  

Ex: Doing chores around the house without being asked. 

Cooking dinner. 

Running errands for you.

Most people show and receive love in all of these ways, but we tend to lean towards a specific one of two. Knowing the difference between these languages is important when recognizing them within yourself as well as those you love. Not everyone shows their love in the same way, and by acknowledging the possible disconnect between you and your partner the environment for true connection is inevitably created.

Kendall is an undergraduate English major at James Madison University! She enjoys listening to Ariana Grande and reading. Her favorite things to do are watch basketball and play with her dogs! She hopes to receive her Masters in education and become a high school English teacher.
Contributor account for Her Campus at JMU.