Healthy through the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Now that the holiday season is rapidly approaching, and we’ve all stuffed our faces after Thanksgiving, it is time to hold the carbs and eat as healthy as possible before fancy parties and New Years’ dresses are in arms reach!

Not only is it important to eat right to look great, but it is equally essential to get you to feel good as well!  Eating too many sweets and carbohydrates can have an unhealthy effect on our mood. And with the cold winter already kicking in seasonal depression, it’s imperative that we feed our bodies with the right foods that will give us the energy we need to get us through the holidays and cold winter!

With the holiday season comes homemade baked goods and grandma’s secret recipes, but it is important to remember that not only is this the time of year to show off our best holiday outfits, but also to keep in mind that overeating the wrong types of foods can lead to more than a muffin top. Indulging in “quick fixes” will only crave your hunger until your body is telling you it’s hungry again.

Healthy Superfoods:

So what are the best superfoods to keep your weight down?  Here are some examples of what foods will keep your body in awesome shape and give you tons of energy this winter!

Black beans: A good source of protein (spiced black bean hummus).
Oats: Rich in fiber and help you feel full all day!
Dark Chocolate: Cures cravings (both salty and sweet).
Avocados: Good fat, quiets hunger.
Salmon: A great source of protein.
Blueberries/pears/bananas: To boost your metabolism.
Broccoli: One word – vitamins! 
Brown rice: Healthy filling but low carbs that boost your metabolism.
Kidney beans: Slimming carbs (chili/lentils)
Almonds: Healthy fat (yes, it’s possible).
Green tea: Contains antioxidants, burns fat and calories (5 cups a day).
Peanut butter: Protein! 

What to eat when you’re:

A combination of these healthy foods will keep you in tip-top shape for the holidays!

Stressed: Yogurt, mixed nuts, or dark chocolate
NOT: Soda

Increase Metabolism: Green tea
NOT: Nothing

Low on Energy: Trail mix
NOT: Espresso

Brain Boost: Blue berries
NOT: Sugars (they just add to distraction)

Bloated: Fruit salad, bananas, berries, or water  
NOT: Carb-rich foods

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.