HC JMU’s Kate Shamlian and Heather Butterworth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Heather Butterworth, HC JMU Managing Editor

Hometown: Roanoke, Va. 

Major/minors: Media arts and design; creative writing and British communication and media minors 

Campus involvements: Managing Editor for Her Campus, Online Editor for The Breeze, Copy Editor for The Bluestone, Marketing Specialist at UREC

Describe yourself in three words: Talkative, ambitious, silly

What has your experience been like at HCJMU? 
It’s definitely been interesting. I started out as a freshman, before HC was a club or had events or anything … it was much different. I feel old, but HCJMU had actually just formed. Watching it grow has been fun, for sure. I used to write articles and copy edit, and it was very exciting to become the managing editor!

How has HCJMU helped shape your college career? Why is it special to you?
Working with Her Campus really made me realize that SMAD was the right choice for me; I had been a biology major earlier and got a lot of heat for switching. My positions here helped me get a digital media internship at WDBJ7, which is a TV station in Roanoke. That was so cool, and having this on my resume has really been a great starting point in my career. 

Where do you see yourself going after graduation?
I have interests in a bunch of areas, so I’m not that picky. A real dream job would be working with a magazine that promotes social change. More realistically though, I would love to eventually work as a web producer, social media coordinator, online editor or something similar. Until then, I’m going to keep interning and working as much as I can. I’m in no rush to leave this place. I’ll really miss JMU!

Kaitlin “Kate” Shamlian, HC JMU Publicity Chair

Hometown: Millstone Township, N.J.

Major/minor: Anthropology/criminal justice

Campus involvements: University Program Board & HCJMU 

Experience at HCJMU:
My experience at HCJMU has been unforgettable! I dove right into the organization when I joined halfway through my junior year and never looked back. It was one of the best decisions I could have made. Going from a social media rep to Publicity Chair was a big jump, but I saw it as my opportunity to ‘make my mark on Madison’ since HC is still such a young organization.

How HC has shaped my college career/why it is special:
HCJMU was another opportunity for personal growth. It started as something that I was interested in and I thought would be fun, but it turned into so much more than that. I met a great group of girls and got to do so many fun things with them like organize events, promote on campus and go to conferences! It has taught me perseverance and dedication to my goals. HCJMU is where I first had the opportunity to lead an event start to finish, which let me tell you is no small feat! It’s great to feel like a part of something bigger, though. Her Campus National is such an impressive company and I’m proud to be associated with its brand.

After graduation:
Well, my big plans are moving it with my handsome man up in Centreville, Va. where I will be working in retail until I can find a full-time position. Anyone hiring?! I would like to eventually go back to school to get my master’s in forensic anthropology, as well.

What I’ll miss most:
I’m going to miss all of my friends here! I know we’ll keep in touch through social media but not being able to go downtown with them and stuff like that is going to be sad. I’ll miss all of the awesome events I’ve attended or participated in through UPB. And I’ll miss going to the nicest school on Earth!