ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Have Yourself a Crafty Christmas: 5 DIY Gifts for Everyone on Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

At the mention of “Secret Santa” (or Snowflake, Holiday Buddy, etc.), it’s almost a reflex for any collegiette to squeal and get extremely excited. Let’s face it, that’s mainly because we know that means we’ll be getting a gift from someone other than our grandmother. The catch to this game is that we are required to produce some sort of present for someone else! So when you’re naturally freaking out and thinking, “But my bank account only has, like, $10! What do I get them?!” Her Campus JMU is here to help with this list of five easy-to-complete projects that any girl on your list will love.

1.    Glitter Wine Glasses

Wine glasses are the perfect gift for any college student. They make great decorations, you can personalize them endlessly and let’s face it – they’re practical. You can buy wine glasses at your local dollar store, Walmart, or stores like Ross or TJ Maxx that carry sets of glasses for fairly cheap prices. And who doesn’t love glitter?! Stock up on a bottle of Mod Podge (a type of glue), a container of loose glitter in any color and foam brushes. Next, decide on your design. You can choose to glitter the stem of your glass, the actual cup, or you can paint the initials of the person you’re giving the glass to. Paint your design onto the glass with the Mod Podge and don’t be afraid to lather it on.  Cover the Mod Podge completely with glitter and let it dry overnight. The next day, gently brush over where you glittered previously with a thin layer of Mod Podge and let it dry again. Voila! To add a cute finishing touch, tie a ribbon around the stem!

2.    Monogram Picture Frame

This craft is super cute and personal, and you can completely customize it to the tastes of whomever you’re gifting it to. Check out your local dollar store or thrift shop and find a standard 8×10 frame. You can choose to paint the frame or leave it as is. Next, you’ll want to find coordinating scrapbook paper in any pattern of your choosing. Glue this to the matte of the frame and remove the glass. You’ll also want to purchase the first initial or set of initials for the person you’re buying for. These can be bought at your local craft store and usually come in white or black, but they can be easily painted to suit your project’s color scheme. Glue this to the center of the scrapbook paper, add any decorations you’d like and you’ve got yourself a Christmas gift for under $10!

3.    Sharpie Mug

This is one gift that requires only three materials: A sharpie, a plain white ceramic coffee mug (dollar stores are AWESOME for these!) and an oven. Step 1: Draw a design on the mug with your sharpies. Step 2: Bake the mug on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let your mug cool and you’re done! If you want to get really fancy, throw your person’s favorite candy in the mug and tie a bow around it.

4.    Push Pin Art

Grab a canvas from your favorite craft store, print your desired design off your computer (sorority symbols, state outlines, initials, etc.) and get your push pins and string ready. Paint your canvas the desired color, and once dry, outline or trace your design and push the pins on the outline of the design. (We recommend metal or clear pushpins!) Next, you’ll want to wrap string or rubber bands from one pin to another until it creates a background for your design. You can use any color string or rubber bands. If you want to paint a phrase around the design, go for it! If not, you have a super cute piece of art to hang on the wall!

5.    Quote Canvases

Everyone loves motivation. Pick out your favorite inspirational quote and purchase enough stickers to spell it out on a canvas. Arrange the quote on the canvas anyway you wish and paint over them. Once the paint is COMPLETELY dry, remove the stickers. Touch up any paint that may have gotten under the letters and you’re done! Instant inspiration that can be placed anywhere your lucky friend desires.

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!