Gobble Up Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

In only a matter of days, dining room tables will be covered with turkey, potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie and other Thanksgiving dinner necessities. So this year, why not whip up a little something of your own to impress your family and make the dinner table look a little more unique?

Here are some easy recipes you can try to freshen up the same-old Turkey Day spread:

1. Oreo Turkeys

These little guys will be sure to add a little festivity to the table. All you need are Double Stuffed Oreos, candy corn, whoppers, Reese’s Cups, chocolate frosting, and yellow frosting. First, you put some frosting inside an Oreo and stick the candy corn (tip in first) to create the tail. Then on another Oreo, put frosting on the cookie part to stick the two cookies together to create the body. Cut a Reese’s cup in half to complete the body and attach a whopper on top of the Reese’s cup for the head. Add details like the feet and eyes with the frosting, and you have yourself a turkey!

2. Pilgrim Hats

For these cute sweets, bake chocolate cookies to create the base of the hat and add a Reese’s cup on top. Line the hat with peanut butter for the buckle detail and you’re all set. It’s a super easy way to add a little character to your meal! 

3. Fruit and Cheese Turkey

Not everything has to be catered to your sweet tooth. Try this recipe for a healthy appetizer that will really wow your guests. You’ll need grapes, little blocks of cheese, a cheese ball (find a recipe you like the best!), a pear, skewers and toothpicks. This may look intimidating, but don’t worry: it’s pretty simple! All you need to do is fasten the grapes and cheese on the skewers and stick them into the cheese ball (a melon could work instead for this too!) to create the tail. Then stick in the pear to make the head and use toothpicks to create a beak with the cheese. Add any finishing touches you want and you have a healthy holiday treat.

4. Sugar Cookie Turkeys

This last recipe is a quick and easy way to add some pizazz to the best part of dinner — dessert.  Whip together some sugar cookies and add candy corn with icing for the tail. Add some details like the face and feet with icing and enjoy.