Fun Careers You Never Thought About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As collegiettes, we’re expected to know what we want to do in life. Everyone’s always asking, “So what are you going to do after college?” Some of us may know or have an idea, but others may be clueless; and that’s okay! Here are some fun careers you may not have considered before.

Fashion Director/Coordinator:
Many women dream of one day designing their own clothing and creating their own company; however, few people actually create successful careers out of being fashion designers. It is a shot in the dark to create a clothing line that will one day go international. Rather than go through the let-downs of fashion designing, why not strive to be a fashion director? It is a fashion director’s job to use the clothing already designed in order to put together outfits and represent the company in a fashionable manner. Fashion directors share many of the same duties as fashion designers, in that they attend fashion shows and work with many people in the field.  It is one of their main responsibilities to work with magazines and stylists in order to create a good image for whatever store or company they may be marketing. Fashion directors have an upbeat, exciting job that requires them to always be on the move. They’re always in the know of the latest trends, and are always ready for the free clothes!

Personal Shopper:
Say what? That’s right! Personal shopping actually does exist as an occupation. It is a personal shopper’s job to provide clients with information and assistance on the latest trends and products available to them. If you are interested in retail and are a people-person, then this job may be for you. Personal shoppers must develop good relationships with their customers so they return to make more purchases. Communication is key in this occupation, for it is the personal shopper’s duty to make sure the client is having an enjoyable experience. This job can ultimately earn a large salary; but you must first go through the entry-level jobs in retail and sales. Hard work and determination can make this job very rewarding!

Cruise Director:
If you love to travel and have an outgoing personality, a cruise director may be a fun job for you. Cruise directors are in charge of making sure passengers are having a comfortable and enjoyable time on their vacation. Duties include coordinating events, providing entertainment, and keeping tolls on all aspects of the cruise. This job requires a peppy attitude and good personable skills. If you’re interested in the entertainment field, a cruise director is a fun choice. Skills include business, management, and hospitality. Cruise directors must be able to multi-task and keep passengers entertained throughout the trip. Although it isn’t an easy job, it would certainly be worth it.

Hopefully these jobs have sparked an interest in some of you, even if you already know what you want to do! The most important thing is that you wake up each morning and have a genuine desire to go to your job – because then it’s not really working after all!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.