Friday Night Life: Fun Alternatives for Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It seems as if every weekend my friends and I sit around the room, play on our phones, and every once in a while say, “We should do something,” but never have the urge or motivation to actually do something.  It’s Friday or Saturday night; we should be de-stressing from our hectic week and celebrating the fact that we don’t have to do homework until the next day (or Sunday night)!  But besides partying, you ask, what is there to do?  Here are some fun ideas to cure the bored atmosphere circling the room! (And yes, all of them are completely alcohol-free!)

Make a Music Video
Remember those days when you used to dress up in costumes and dance to your favorite songs?  You’re never too old to star in your own music video!  Grab your camera, pick your favorite song, and travel around campus!  There are many exciting spots to shoot, such as the James Madison statues (at ISAT and Varner House), the fountain on the Quad, or on the Commons!  Plus, if you’re a little embarrassed about others watching, it’s nighttime, so less people are walking around.

Man Hunt
This game is so much fun when it’s dark outside!  You can play this within a large area; it’s basically hide-and-seek tag.  One person is “it” and they search for those hiding.  The ones hiding, however, have to run to the base before the person that’s “it” catches them.  When running across a big area like East Campus or the Quad, you’re guaranteed a little challenge, as well as a good workout!

Game Night
Pick your favorite games and don’t be afraid to get a little competitive!  I suggest ‘Quelf’ — a board game where you have to do crazy actions based on the card you pick up.  It’s guaranteed to create many laughs and inside jokes.  You could also play your favorite card game, such as Spoons.  Feeling up for a challenge?  Try what I call, ‘Extreme Spoons,’ where as soon as a person has four of a kind, he or she and everyone else have to go and search for the hidden spoon.  Whoever finds it first wins!

Cookies and a Movie
There’s nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned Netflix movie!  You can watch Mean Girls for the 1000th time or a scary movie to get your heart racing.  Either way, be sure to order some delicious Campus Cookies to go with your movie!

Wal-Mart Run
Hardly anyone is at Wal-Mart late at night, so why not go and grab some ice cream, a $5 movie, or some fun arts and crafts?  The cashiers are usually interesting to talk to, and you can make an exciting adventure out of your trip!

Or… Do Laundry!
Think about it; are you always fighting for a washer or dryer during the day?  I can guarantee no one will be using the machines at 1am.  You can do it in the middle of your other fun activities, and you won’t have to worry about it later.

So next time you’re bored over the weekend, take note of these ideas and put them into an idea bowl.  Pick one at random and there you go!  You’ll never say, “What do you feel like doing?” again.

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.