Finding A Place To Live Next Year, As Told By New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s that time of the year when your student email starts to get flooded with messages from different housing complexes around the area telling you “Come Live Here.” So you’re thinking “How can that be? It’s only the second month of school and I just now got settled.” You now realize that you have to scramble to find the best living place for you so you don’t get lucked out. Let  the stages of figuring out your future living situation commence. “New Girl” tells it like it is.

Researching the best places to live.

Asking other students about where they live.

Trying to confront your current roommate(s) to see if you’re living together again.

Or breaking it to your roommate(s) that you’re not living with them.  

Or just finding people to live with in general.

Visiting all the places you got emails from.

Nodding your head at the person showing you the complex to seem like you’re interested in signing.

Saying you’ll “think about it” before making your decision.

When you finally think you found your new place but naturally something has to go wrong.

When things finally get sorted out, you have a new place to call your home, and you can consider yourself successfully adulting.

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.