Style

Fifteen Unique Halloween Costumes You Won’t Be Seeing On Anyone Else This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Solo Costumes

Jennifer Check from Jennifer’s body

This costume is an oldie, but a goodie. Since this movie came out in 2009, it’s not as culturally remembered anymore like Mean Girls or Clueless. However, it’s an extremely classic and HOT costume for Halloween 2023. There are also several options to choose from which makes this even more fun. It’s completely open to interpretation based on which look you want to do! A couple of options would be the iconic cropped heart hoodie look, the cheerleading uniform, the bloody prom dress, or even the movie poster.

The mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

Listen, hear me out. This costume would absolutely SLAY if done correctly. Also, no one else is going to do this because it’s so out of the realm of our generation’s ideas for Halloween costumes right now. For the costume, all you need is a pair of mouse ears and some overalls (short or long). For accessories, I would definitely wear some chocolate chip cookie earrings, paint a little pink nose, and bring chocolate chip cookies along wherever you’re going. Not only is that the cutest addition to your costume, but it’s a fun little offering to everyone you meet throughout the night. What a cool conversation starter!

Cookies
Melissa Miller / Spoon
Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Violet’s transformation in this movie is no joke, but that timeframe between her being a normal blonde girl and a giant blueberry is costume material. If you’re not blonde, you can still do this costume! Just grab a blonde bob wig and you’re all set. What you need for this costume is a blue tracksuit, blue eyeshadow, and some bubble gum. Put that blue eyeshadow all over your nose and a little onto your cheeks and you’re done! You’re halfway to blueberry status but in a totally cute, unique way.

Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland

The Queen of Hearts may be a villain, but she’s a villain with really hot costume potential. This costume can be done in a variety of ways, but here are some ideas to get you kickstarted. First, I would get a red corset, a black skirt, and heart tights. Then, somehow incorporate cards (hearts, duh!) whether it be in jewelry or in another accessory. My second idea would be to get a dress that has hearts on it and incorporate heart jewelry and accessories. It would even be cool to make a crown out of cards. A little DIY moment! The more the better on both of these ideas, you have to do this costume in Queen of Hearts fashion!!! Totally overboard with details.

Mia Thermopolis from The Princess Diaries

How ADORABLE would this costume be? There are so many looks to choose from this iconic set of movies. You could do the movie cover, the pajama party where they mattress surf, the school uniform, or one of her beautiful dresses! Obviously, there are many more options to choose from since Mia always slays, but this costume is absolutely iconic no matter which version of Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi you choose!

Duo Costumes

sharkboy and lavagirl from the adventures of sharkboy and lavagirl

If you think you need to have a boy and a girl for this costume, you are so majorly wrong! This costume works regardless of gender for either character. This costume idea would be especially fun with two people doing their best to create their own spin on the characters.

Remy and Linguini from Ratatouille

Once again, this costume is gender friendly! Anyone can do this because either way it’s absolutely hilarious and easily recognizable. Get some mouse ears, a grey dress or grey shirt, and draw a little nose and you’re set for Remy. Get a white dress or chef jacket and a chef’s hat and you’ve got Linguini.

The main characters from Subway Surfers

I’ve never seen anyone do it, but the concept is so cool and unique. There are a ton of different looks for each of these characters, so just download the app and get some inspiration!

Dale and Brennan from step brothers

Another hilarious costume that anyone can do. This movie is known to be funny and is quoted extremely often (especially by that boy that you like). Bonus points for this costume if you watch the movie with your costume buddy and quote the movie all night (and maybe even recreate some of the funniest scenes!). You really only need a button down and a sweater vest for this costume but making it your own would be so fun!

Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift

The most iconic duo on this planet forever and always (sorry Travis)! There are so many looks to choose from to be these besties, but a few of my favorites would be the Bad Blood music video, the Grammys 2016 looks, or the outfits they wear when performing “Good For You” live. All of these looks are stunning and easily done, so just pick which one you like best and have at it!

Group Costumes

Disney Villains

How SICK would this group costume be? Everyone always dresses up as duos, like Maleficent and Aurora or Ariel and Ursula, but a group of villains? Depending on how many friends you want to join in on this, the options are pretty much endless: Maleficent, Ursula, Captain Hook, Cruella De Ville, The Evil Queen, Jafar, Gaston, Mother Gothel, Lady Tremaine, Dr. Facilier, Hades, etc.. There are so many options to choose from and as a group this would be majorly iconic.

Care Bears

What a throwback! This costume could be just the right amount of cute and sexy if done the right way. This costume can be done with as many people or as little people as you want; everyone will know who you are regardless! No one is going to be a Care Bear for Halloween in 2023, but when they see you and your besties out this October, they’re gonna wish they thought of this. Once again, tons and tons of options to choose from for this costume, and so many different ways to style it. Have fun and be creative!

Horror Movie Icons

Take this title as you will since there are many interpretations. Am I talking about the serial killers like Ghostface, Michael Myers, and Jason Voorhees? Or am I talking about the iconic characters in these movies like Carrie White, Casey Becker, and the twins from The Shining? However you take this concept, it will be such a show-stopping moment.

The Toy Story Toy Squad

I know, I know, everyone does Buzz Lightyear and Woody. BUT what about everyone else? If you have a group of friends that needs costume ideas, this would be such a cute and well-known idea that’s not worn out. Adorable!

The Victorious Cast at Sikowitz’s house From That One Episode

How HILARIOUS would this costume be? You and your friends could be cute and funny with this idea. There are six different costumes to choose from, 3 girls and 3 guys. However, you can honestly be any character you want since this idea is so gender neutral! To refresh your memory, Tori was a loud cop who loved Raisin Bran and red lipstick, Andre was a pregnant marathon runner, Robbie was a motivational speaker that drank something that made his legs shaky, Cat was an annoying comedian from the 80s, Beck was a British man who invaded people’s personal space, and Jade was a happy Southern farm girl who loved to be positive. This costume idea is so creative and you can really make it your own.

No matter what you choose to be, you are absolutely going to slay!!! The most important things are to stay true to yourself and love what you’re wearing. Don’t take a stranger’s recommendation just because they told you to wear it. Have fun this Halloween, SLAY, and be safe bestie! XOXO

Emily is a senior at James Madison University majoring in Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication (WRTC) with a minor in Human Resource Development (HRD). When she's not writing for Her Campus, you might find her hanging out with friends, trying to make a dent in her “To Be Read” list, or driving around aimlessly in her car blasting Taylor Swift.