The Laladoc Martens
The Laladoc Martens
Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

Fall/Downtown Girl Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
Pleated Skirts

Pleated skirts are sometimes considered childish, but they’re anything but! These pieces of clothing do not always have to appear schoolgirlish, especially when you pair them with a sweater or graphic tee. There is a variety of patterns skirts come in as well, with the addition of the plaid style that’s been taking off lately. They can be a fantastic choice for an outfit, but as fall gets colder, it’s recommended to wear some warm tights or leggings underneath them. Pleated skirts can elevate your fit to an elegant level without having to put in that much effort. They can also be found in a variety of stores.

Doc Martens

Even though these shoes are expensive, numbering in the mid-100s, they are great quality and will last years to come. They are durable, but because of this, it’s quite a process breaking them in without pain. The chunky look is definitely in right now for fall, and they are warm and perfect for lasting through the weather when it starts getting colder. Also, these shoes can be worn by men or women, and are universally stylish.

Vests

Vests are a forgotten item that no one really thinks about, but their cuteness is underestimated! Whether it’s a sweater vest, which can be paired with a turtleneck or a long-sleeved shirt, or a leather vest, which undeniably makes your appearance more grunge – vests are massively unused as an article of clothing. They contribute to the downtown girl style, which has also been equated with the portrayal of coolness and the archetype of the “rockstar girlfriend”. Good ones are more difficult to find but it’s worth it when you do.

oversize Cardigans/sweaters

These comfy pieces of clothing are positively a fall staple. As well as being warm and insulating during the colder months, they are so cute to style and can be paired with virtually anything! Earthy colors are more popular in the fall season – like brown, green, black, gray, and white. I also feel like when most people think of fall clothing, sweaters and cardigans is what they picture. There’re also numerous options for patterns, including color-block, stripes, argyle, and cable-knit. These can be found anywhere, from Goodwill to high-end shops.

Leather/Bomber Jackets

As the weather gets increasingly chillier, having a warm (stylish but practical) coat or jacket is a necessary piece of clothing to own. For the milder days, a leather or bomber jacket is probably enough to keep you comfortable. Although, some of these materials are made with warmer linings like fleece, which makes it possible to wear in colder weather. However, the best choice for when it is cold or wet outside is a big coat made of corduroy material. Corduroy repels any water or wind and is incredibly insulating to the wearer. Trench coats are also a very good choice for fall if you’re looking for a more professional option.

Tote bags

Tote bags are the ideal way to transport any personal objects! Even though these can technically be classified as a year-round accessory, there’s something about the fall that makes these bags shine. Most are large and durable, and some even have cute graphic designs that reflect your interests. They are both stylish and functional, and work perfectly to cart your belongings around. Some even have organizational compartments to separate your items. These can commonly be found at bookstores or online.

Flare jeans

Flare jeans are the type of denim that can look flattering on anyone! Although boot cut trends have gotten less popular, a little flare at the end of the jeans adds to the wearer’s figure and contributes an aspect of style to the appearance. These jeans can come in all colors and materials, including denim and corduroy. The earthy tones rule still applies and is best for fall, with shades like blue, brown, and black. They can be found high-and low in thrift stores and retailers like Old Navy.

Rye Baker - JMU freshman I love writing, Gilmore Girls, and autumn. I enjoy listening to Taylor Swift, Lana del Rey, and Hozier. My favorite movie series is Harry Potter, and my favorite classic is The Great Gatsby. I have a tuxedo cat named Felix.