Dos and Don’ts of Being a Good Wing-Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Everyone has who always have your back when you go out and then the ones who go with you to the party and disappear until the next morning. We call these one-in-a-million friends wing-women. These friends’ duties range from things like watching out for outfit mishaps, taking trips together to the bathroom and last but certainly not least, making sure that cutie you’ve had your eye on notices you and not any other girl. Now don’t misunderstand; the wing-women most definitely know how to have a good time and don’t spend the entire night watching after you, but the moment something goes astray you can be sure they’ll be there to have your back.

Having a good wing-woman when you go out can have the potential to make or break your night. So knowing how essential these friends are to you, it’s important you know how to return the favor.

Before going out

Make sure you’re on the same page as your girl and are fully aware of her intentions. If you guys are both looking for a crazy night or a more low-key night, let it be known. This way you’ll be prepared for any situation that happens. As far as getting ready is concerned, be honest with her about her outfit and let her know which one looks best. The last thing any girl wants is a friend that lets her leave the house looking like a train wreck. Once the basics are established, if you’re the type of friends who take turns holding onto the essentials, make sure you know which one of you is responsible for the keys, cameras and cell phones.

When you first get there

Depending on the type of party you and your girls plan to attend, you could walk into a number of situations. If it’s a frat party, be prepared for the majority of people to be drunk, black lights, and the place to be packed like Times Square on New Year’s Eve. Make sure you and your girls stick together until you reach the keg or are able to find your other friends. If the party is more laid-back, scope out who’s there. And before you play pong with the cute guy you spotted across the room, make sure you won’t be leaving your friend to awkwardly mingle by herself.

If her man shows up

So as the night goes on and the drinks start disappearing, more people start arriving. Then low and behold, JMU’s finest arrives – the guy your friend has had her eye on for the last few weeks. If your friend and her crush have been hitting it off without any effort, your duty in this area may be already taken care of.

On the other hand, if your friend is shy or if the guy she’s hoping for doesn’t exactly have the best game when it comes to getting girls, you may have to intervene a little. And when I say intervene I don’t mean push them together or drop way too many obvious and obnoxious hints
.

Grab your friend and one of her crush’s guy friends and head to the dance floor. Her crush should pick up on the hint, follow you guys and take the lead with your friend. If the party’s more low-key, ask your friend to play a drinking game with you and tell her to find a partner; if her man is close by, this should be a sure-fire way to get them talking. 

Use these sly moves and who knows, maybe they’ll hit it off and you’ll have the bragging rights to tell everyone you got them together.

Important things to remember:

1. Don’t go after any man your friend already called dibs on.

2. Don’t disclose too many details about your friend to her crush…you have to keep him intrigued enough to approach her on his own.

3. If one of you ends up spending the night out and the other going home, make sure whoever goes home ends up in a cab with the right apartment keys.

4. If your friend ended up spending the night out, keep your phone charged and volume on high so when you get a “help me” text the next morning, you’ll be ready to go save your girl from that humiliating walk of shame. 

Follow these few reminders and your friend will have no choice but to be eternally grateful. What goes around comes around, so if you hang your friend out to dry, you can count on her to do the same to you.But be a good wing woman and your friend will gladly return the favor.

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!