D&D For Beginners, With Tips From Experienced Players

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) is one of, if not the most popular tabletop role-playing game (TTRPG) out on the market. Known for allowing for freedom and creativity in play, and exploring all sorts of fantasy worlds, the game is incredibly popular, both with players and in traditional media (such as television and movies with Stranger Things and the Dungeons & Dragons movie). However, it can be daunting to learn how to play the game, with its many elements, which is where this article comes in. Here I’ll break down some of the main components of D&D, and give you some advice that I, and other players, think beginners should know. Special thanks to my friends and the members of the JMU D&D Club for their advice!

Character Alignments:

Moral alignment is used to determine how a character interacts with the world around them. This typically determines how a character responds to events and the severity of their response, ranging anywhere from attempts at diplomacy to waging an all-out war. However, character alignment is flexible, and often changes based on the character’s actions and responses to their world.

Chaotic Good

• Chaotic Good characters are very alike to being the Robin Hood characters of the D&D universe. These characters have a heart of gold, but would rather break the rules and the system of the world they live in to help those suffering under these rules rather than trying to find a way to help people while abiding by the rules and laws.

Neutral Good

• Neutral Good is one of the most commonly recognized character alignments in media. Characters that fall under this alignment are ones that prioritize helping people, but also aren’t unwilling to bend or break rules if it means more people will benefit from the destruction of the rules rather than them being upheld.

Lawful Good

• Lawful Good characters are characters with the purest intentions in the D&D world. These characters often seek justice, truth, and prioritize helping and protect others even at their own expense.  These characters often try to hold their party to the same standard of morality, which could cause inter-party conflict and clashes with characters of eviler alignments.

Chaotic Neutral

• Chaotic Neutral characters are not too unlike their chaotic good counterparts, with the exception that instead of breaking the rules to help others, they will do it either for fun or for gain. While they won’t go out of their way to help others in need, they won’t put others in unnecessary danger just because they could.

True Neutral

• True Neutral characters are the survivors of D&D. These characters do whatever they have to protect themselves, loved ones, or their party. True neutrals are realists and see their decisions as practical means to an end, doing what they have to do in order to survive.

Lawful Neutral

• Lawful Neutral characters stick to their code faithfully, despite the fact that it could come back to hurt them in the moment or in the future. These characters believe in order and organization, and believe that the world operates according to a certain guideline and would otherwise fall apart.

Chaotic Evil

• Chaotic Evils are the most terrifying characters in D&D, solely because there is no predicting what they will do next. These characters relish in causing pain and suffering, even if it doesn’t serve as a direct benefit to them. Even though the other subcategories of Evil aren’t above resorting to murder and betrayal, the other subcategories will use it to advance their goals while Chaotic Evil characters will do it solely because they believe it’s fun.

Neutral Evil

• Neutral Evil characters don’t put stock into codes, but rather, the idea that they have an end goal in sight and will do whatever is required to accomplish that end goal. However, Neutral Evils are practical in their pursuit of their endgame, not putting additional effort into unnecessary destructions, but are also not above killing, lying, or manipulating to achieve what they want.

Lawful Evil

• Lawful Evil doesn’t refer to the laws of the world a character inhabits, but rather, their own internal set of laws and obligations. These characters believe that their internal code is correct and honorable, and are not above using whatever means necessary, however violent or evil they might be, in order to fulfill these internal codes.

The Six Main Stats:

The six main ability stats are a constant in D&D, and every player has these stats regardless of race, class, or other factors. These stats can be modified due to racial or class traits, such as giving advantage or disadvantage to a particular stat. These scores can be selected one of two ways: using standard array or manual rolled. Standard array is a set number of numbers approved by the D&D rules, and consist of the numbers 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15. Manual rolling consists of rolling 4d6 die, and then adding up the three highest numbers to determine that stat. The main ability stats consist of:

Charisma

• Charisma is typically described as a character’s artistic flair and likeability. This stat can be used for a variety of purposes, but is commonly used to try and sweet-talk one’s way out of trouble, or to get something they want. Charisma comes into play when trying to deceive, intimidate, perform, or persuade.

Constitution

• Constitution is primarily used to determine maximum health points (HP) for a character. However, it can also be used to save a character from types of damage, such as poisoning or being thrown off balance by an enemy.

Dexterity

• Dexterity is Strength’s counter, and is the way a character’s agility, balance, and physical precision is measured. Dexterity is used when making acrobatic, stealth, and sleight of hand checks. This is one of the most important ability stats, as it determines both a character’s armor class (AC) and their initiative. Initiative is rolled at the beginning of every combat scenario and determines the order in which everyone performs their actions. This is done by rolling a d20 and adding (or subtracting) their Dexterity modifier. AC is used to determine how hard it will be to hit a character and is determined by using the model 10 + Dexterity modifier. Dexterity also provides a bonus for ranged and finesse weapons, which include weapons such as bows and daggers.

Intelligence

• Intelligence is separated from wisdom, as intelligence measures a character’s studies. This is especially important for characters who practice magic, such as artificers and wizards. While there are natural intelligence modifiers depending on class and race, additional advantages can be given at DM discretion if a player is attempting an intelligence check within their field of study. (i.e. If a druid wanted to make a nature skill check, a DM may give an additional advantage since druids are nature inclined). Intelligence is used when making Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, and Religion checks.

Wisdom

• Wisdom is Intelligence’s counterpart, and this deals moreso with common sense, a character’s intuition, and a character’s life experiences. If Intelligence is more book-smart leaning, Wisdom is more street-smarts leaning. Wisdom is used when making Animal Handling, Medicine, Insight, Perception, and Survival checks within the game.

Strength

• As the name suggests, strength is a measure of a character’s physical abilities. This can range anywhere from how much a character can physically lift, but also how forceful and powerful one’s attacks can be. Different from the other five ability stats, strength can only be used for one ability check, an athletics check. However, at the DM’s discretion, strength can be used in other ways, such as being physically intimidating in order to pass an Intimidation check.

Types of dice:

A standard set of D&D dice consists of seven dice. These can be used for a wide variety of things, including initiative, ability checks, damage, and many others. Almost every action undertaken in D&D will require some form of dice roll, meaning a base knowledge of how each dice is used in the game.

• D20
    • This is the type of dice typically associated with D&D, and it is the most frequently used dice in D&D. This dice will be used to determine success or failure, determine your turn in combat, and determine how effective your attacks, saving throws, and skill/ability checks are. Because there is such a slim chance of rolling any number on a D20 (5%), this is why there is so much celebration when someone rolls a natural 20 (a critical success), or so much devastation when someone rolls a natural 1 (a critical failure).
  • D12
    • A D12 is one of the most powerful dice in the game if you are fond of using heavier weapons, as a D12 will be the one you use to roll for damage. However well (or poorly) you roll determines how many points of damage you inflict on the enemy, but no matter what as long as you land a hit it’s still important.
  • D10 (typically a D10 and a percentile die)
    • The D10 is also known as the D100 and is made up of the D10 and the percentile dice, each displaying ten sides. D10s have a range of numbers from 0-10, while percentile dice have 00 to 90. By rolling percentile, you are able to gauge what percent of strength you are able to use in an attack. Something to note, however, is that rolling the double zeros on the percentile die does not, in fact, total zero, but totals 100 in the D&D world. A D10 can also be used by itself, the determine either damage dealt by large weapons like swords, damage dealt by higher level spells, or hit points for a paladin or fighter.  
  • D8
    • The D8 dice is a perfect diamond, with two pyramids melded together. This dice will be used for damage on single-handed weapons but is also critically important for spellcasters. Many healing and damaging spells utilize this dice, making it an important one should magic be your character’s primary focus. The D8 is also used as the hit die for Clerics, Monks, Druids, and Warlocks.
  • D6
    • The D6 is the most universal dice in a standard seven-set, as the cube dice is seen in many other games outside of D&D. D6’s are used to determine rolling for character attributes in character creation, meaning you roll 4D6, eliminate the lowest number, and add up the rest for that ability score. In actual gameplay, D6’s determines the damage for weapons such as short swords or maces, and also comes into play with a substantial amount of spells. This dice is used as the hit dice for Wizards and Sorcerers.
  • D4
    • The D4 is pyramid shaped, with three numbers on each side, ranging anywhere from 1-4. While tiny, it does pack quite a punch in-game. D4’s are used to roll damage on small weapons, typically handheld ones such as daggers, and is also used to determine the success of hit points regained when casting healing spells.
  • Hit die
    • Hit dice are used to determine how many hit points a particular character, NPC, or monster has. These dice are unique to each class, giving some more health than others. These dice will be used to determine how much damage a character takes in combat, or how much health they can gain back during a short rest. For example, if someone was playing as a fifth level druid, they could use 5D8’s in a short rest to gain back health lost in a particularly grueling battle.

Base races:

These are the base nine races a player can choose for their character. These are some of the most well-known races in-game and are free on the D&D Beyond Website for players to choose. However, it is worth noting that these are not the only races available in-game, with multitudes of races and combinations of races to choose from. If something here doesn’t catch your eye, I encourage you to check out the Race section on D&D Beyond and find one that you would be interested in playing!

• Dragonborn
    • Dragonborn’s are unique to the world of D&D, a combination of the best traits seen in humanoids and dragons. These characters look alike to dragons, aside from lacking a tail and wings. Some dragonborn serve the dragons their share a clan with, while others are adrift and figuring out their purpose if not to help the dragons of their clan. Dragonborn grow incredibly quickly, resembling the development of a 10-year-old human by the time they are 3, and are considered to be an adult at age 15. Dragonborn have a lifespan of about 80 years. They have a base walking speed of 30 feet and have a height of over 6 feet tall and are about 250 pounds, making them a Medium-sized creature. The Dragonborn race are granted a Strength score bonus of +2, and a Charisma score bonus of +1.
  • Dwarf
    • Dwarves are a race of individuals that a well-known throughout the realm as skilled warriors, miners, and specialize in working in stone and metal. While dwarves are on the shorter side, with the maximum height being 5 feet, they are very broad, meaning they could weigh as much as a human twice their height. They are also known for their courage and endurance, and it is known to match that of those who are much larger than them. Dwarves have the same maturity pacing of the human race, but unlike humans, aren’t considered to be adults until they are 50 years old. However, they tend to live 350 years on average. Dwarves can stand between 4-5 feet tall, and weigh on average 150 pounds, making them a Medium-sized creature. Dwarves have a base walking speed of 25 feet, and this is not reduced when a dwarf is wearing heavier sets of armor. The dwarven race are granted a Constitution score bonus of +2.
  • Elf
    • Elves are known as a race that exist in the world without fully being there. These elves surround themselves with beauty, living in ancient forests or very beautiful and ethereal structures. Elves favor nature and magic, art and artistry in the world, music and poetry, and generally the more beautiful aspects of the world. These creatures are beautiful to a point where it is haunting to those around them and are known for their grace and beauty. Elves reach physical maturity at the same pacing of humans but aren’t considered adults until they are about 100 years old, and can live to be around 750 years old. These creatures have a wide range of heights, anywhere from under 5 feet tall to over 6 feet tall, and are slender, making them Medium-sized. They have a base walking speed of 30 feet and are granted an Intelligence score bonus of +1.
  • Gnome
    • Gnomes are energetic forces, taking enjoyment in experiencing the world around them. Gnomes are among some of the longest living races, with a fervor and excitement for life, often fearing that despite their long life they still may not be able to get to see and do everything they want to. Coupled with this fun-loving side is a deep dedication to their chosen craft, as many gnomes are skilled in fields such as engineering, alchemy, and inventing. Gnomes share the same maturity pace as humans, and are considered to have reached adulthood around age 40, but can live anywhere from 350 to 500 years. Gnomes are on average 40 pounds, and anywhere between 3-4 feet tall, making them a Small-sized creature, with a base walking speed of 25 feet. Gnomes are granted a Constitution core increase of +1.
  • Half-elf
    • Half-elves belong to both the human world and the elven world, but aren’t considered belonging to either of them. Half-elves are combinations of their parent’s best qualities; human ambition, curiosity, and inventiveness; and elven artistic tastes, love for nature, and refined senses. Half-elves struggle with their sense of self and belonging, however, as they have to watch their human peers be affected by time and time’s trappings, but continue to slowly age themselves while their elven peers stay young. As a result, many half-elves separate themselves from either society, and instead take up a life of solitude or finding kinship with other outcasts. Half-elves have the same maturity rate as humans, and are considered to be adults at age 20. However, they have a much longer lifespan, getting up to or exceeding 180 years of age. They are the same size as humans, with an average of 5-6 feet tall, classifying them as a Medium-sized creature, with a base walking speed of 30 feet. Half-elves are granted a Charisma score increase of +2, and a +1 score increase and any two other ability scores of the player’s choice.
  • Halfling
    • Halfings are creatures that idealize comfort over adventure. These creatures prefer peace, quiet, and home, but home can mean anything to a halfling. The ideal life for a halfling can be anywhere from living in small communities to exploring new lands and learning about new people. Halflings prioritize practicality over lavishness, and possess little patience for indecisiveness. These creatures are the first to help, and would give the shirt of their back to someone if they thought it would benefit that person more than them. Halflings are considered to be adults at age 20, and can live as long as a century and a half. These creatures are classified as Small, and weigh about 40 pounds and can get only as tall as 3 feet. Halflings have a base walking speed of 25 feet. Halfings are granted a Dexterity score increase of +2.
  • Half-orc
    • Half-orcs are the product of orc/human community alliances, often brought together after years of conflict between the two races. These strong individuals have wide-ranging futures, often circling around greatness and worth. While some half-orcs rise in power and lead their communities, others leave their communities to become adventurers, with the idea to prove their worth and achieve greatness. Half-orcs have a slightly faster maturity rate than humans, as they are considered to reach adulthood around age 14. However, they age incredibly quickly, and have a lifespan of about 75 years. Half-orcs are typically large and bulky, being anywhere from 5 feet tall to exceeding 6 feet tall, classifying them as Medium-sized creature with a base walking speed of 30 feet. Half-orcs are granted a Strength score increase of +2, and a Constitution score increase of +1.
  • Human
    • A familiar race to players, humans are some of the most driven races in D&D despite their short lifespan. Humans have one of the shorter lifespans in D&D, and this drives them to achieve more because of this. While the aims for this are unknown, maybe to prove something to races that live longer or to build something that will outlast them; they are determined to leave their mark on the world. Humans reach adulthood in their late teenage years, and typically live less than a century. They have a range of heights, being anywhere from less than 5 feet to over 6 feet tall, but are classified as a Medium-sized creature regardless of height/build. They have a base walking speed of 30 feet, and are granted two ability score increases of +1 in two ability scores of the player’s choice.
  • Tiefling
    • Tieflings are a blend of both infernal heritage and distant human bloodlines, giving them the blended characteristics they are known for. Tieflings are found in the minorities of human civilization, often pursuing a path of crime and theft to survive in the world. Tieflings are slow to trust individuals, as they have the mindset that they need to make their own way in the world that is distrustful of them, but are loyal and trustful to those closest to him who have been able to prove their loyalty. Tieflings have the same maturity rate as humans, but where humans live less than a century; tieflings can live just slightly longer. They also have the same height and build as humans, giving them the same classification of a Medium-sized creature, and have a base walking speed of 30 feet. Tieflings are granted an Intelligence score bonus of +1, and a Charisma score bonus of +2.

Classes:

Classes are how your character plays through the world, and what they are good at in the world of D&D. Your class will decide things such as if you are proficient in weapons or magic, if you’re stronger or smarter, or if you could get away with a bit of thievery. These classes can be used by themselves or stacked with another one, helping to create an intriguing and powerful character in your campaign.

Base Classes:

• Barbarian
    • Barbarians are typically the traditional mercenaries in D&D. These individuals are wanderers, with proficiency saves in Strength and Constitution, and a primary ability in Strength. Their hit die is 1d12 per barbarian level. Barbarians tend to throw themselves headfirst into danger regardless of what the consequences may be, making them either a great asset or a formidable foe. A barbarian’s starter equipment consist of either a greataxe or any martial weapon, two handaxes or any simple weapon, with four javelins and an explorer’s pack.
  • Bard
    • Bards are the traveling musicians of the D&D world. They are natural storytellers, and wander through the world learning and telling stories and playing music. Bards tend to see every opportunity as a learning experience, and are constantly growing their skills in magic and music. Bards have a hit die of 1d8 per bard level, with proficiency saving throws in Dexterity and Charisma, and a primary ability in Charisma. Starting equipment for a bard consists of either a rapier, longsword, or simple weapon (think spears or daggers); a diplomat’s pack or entertainer’s pack; a lute or any other musical instrument; and a set of leather armor and a dagger.
  • Cleric
    • Clerics are the branches between the mortal world and the world of the gods. Clerics possess divine magic, and attempt to embody the deity they serve the best they can. Cleric characters have a hit die of 1d8 per cleric level, with proficiency saving throws in Wisdom and Charisma, and a primary ability in Wisdom. Starting equipment for a cleric consists of either a mace or warhammer; scale mail, leather armor, or chain mail; a light crossbow with 20 bolts or any simple weapon; a priest’s pack or explorer’s pack; and a shield and holy symbol.
  • Druid
    • Druids are the naturalistic forces in D&D, drawing on aspects of nature magic to make their way through the world. Druids primarily draw their magic from nature deities, and are able to control the elements, nature, and animals. Druid characters have a hit die of 1d8 per druid level, and have proficiency saving throws in Intelligence and Wisdom, and a primary ability in Wisdom. Starting equipment for a druid consists of either a wooden shield or any simple weapon; a scimitar or any simple melee weapon; and then a set of leather armor, an explorer’s pack, and a druidic focus. Druidic focuses range in object and ability, and can range anywhere from a wand or scepter to a totem incorporating aspects from sacred animals.
  • Fighter
    • Fighters are a uniquely diverse class in D&D, knowing the basics of every combat style available. These characters can also adapt to every form of armor and shield that exists, and while specialization isn’t uncommon, this adaptability makes them a force to be reckoned with. The hit die for a fighter is 1d10 for every fighter level, and they have proficiency saving throws in Strength and Constitution with a primary ability in either Strength and Dexterity. Starting equipment for a fighter consists of either a set of chain mail or a set of leather armor, and a longbow with 20 arrows; a martial weapon and a shield or two martial weapons; a light crossbow with 20 bolts or two handaxes; and either a dungeoneer’s pack or an explorer’s pack.
  • Monk
    • Monks are characters who have trained in monasteries, and utilize the magical energy ki to protect themselves. Ki is the energy element that flows through living creatures, and monks utilize it to create magical phenomena and push past what their body can physically handle. The hit die for a monk is 1d8 per monk level, and monks have proficiency saving throws in Strength and Dexterity with a primary ability in either Dexterity and Wisdom. Starting equipment for a monk consists of either a shortsword or any simple weapon; either a dungeoneer’s pack or an explorer’s pack; and 10 darts.
  • Paladin
    • Paladins are elevated fighters in the world of D&D. These fighters shun their former occupations and lives, and devote themselves to fighting evil. While some paladins turn to serving the crown of their country as knights, their sole loyalty lies within enacting justice within the world. The hit die for a paladin is 1d10 per paladin level, and they have proficiency saving throws in Wisdom and Charisma with primary abilities in Strength and Charisma. Starting equipment for a paladin consists of either a martial weapon and a shield or two martial weapons, five javelins or any simple melee weapon, a priest’s pack or an explorer’s pack, and a set of chain mail and a holy symbol.
  • Ranger
    • Rangers are a deadly mix of nature and combat, allowing them to not only cast nature spells but also be proficient in weaponry. Rangers are mostly independent contractors, who can survive on their own just as well as survive in a group environment. These characters are typically the party’s first and last line of defense. The hit die for a ranger is 1d10 per ranger level, and they have proficiency saving throws in Strength and Dexterity with primary abilities in Dexterity and Wisdom. Starting equipment for rangers consists of either scale mail or leather armor, two shortswords or two simple melee weapons, a dungeoneer’s pack or an explorer’s pack, and a longbow with a quiver of 20 arrows.
  • Rogue
    • Rogues are stealthy, cunning, and deceptive, often making them the perfect thieves and criminals. However, with using these skills in stealth and deception, many rogues take up a life of adventuring, sneaking into powerful places in search of treasure. These characters are not to be trifled with on the battlefield, however, because their skills allow them to sneak through the action and surprise their attackers. The hit die for a rogue is 1d8 per rogue level, with proficiency saving throws in Dexterity and Intelligence, and a primary ability in Dexterity. Starting equipment for a rogue consists of either a rapier or a shortsword, a shortbow with a quiver of 20 arrows or a shortsword, either a burglar’s pack, dungeoneer’s pack, or explorer’s pack, and a set of leather armor, two daggers, and thieves’ tools.
  • Sorcerer
    • Sorcerers utilize magic that has been gifted to them through either their bloodline, an exposure to unknown cosmic or magical forces, or some other powerful influence. Sorcerers do not choose the life that they lead, rather, it comes to them. Sorcerers differ from wizards because they do not utilize spellbooks to cast their spells, and differ from warlocks as they do not need a patron to grant them their magic. Sorcerers learn new spells by harnessing the magic that is already in them. The hit die for a sorcerer is 1d6 per sorcerer level, with proficiency saving throws in Constitution and Charisma, and a primary ability in Charisma. Starting equipment for a sorcerer consists of either a light crossbow with 20 bolts or any simple weapon, a component pouch or an arcane focus, either a dungeoneer’s pack or explorer’s pack, and two daggers.
  • Warlock
    • Warlocks are magical beings that gained their power through a pact with a being not of their world, similar to clerics. However, unlike clerics, this pact is not made with a god, and could be beings such as demons, devils, or some other foreign entity. The power dynamic between a warlock and their patron is a more sinister dynamic than that of a cleric, as warlocks are gifted their power in exchange for services performed for their patron. The hit die for a warlock is 1d8 per warlock level, with proficiency saving throws in Wisdom and Charisma, and a primary ability in Charisma. Starting equipment for a warlock consists of either a light crossbow with 20 bolts or any simple weapon, a component pouch or arcane focus, a scholar’s pack or dungeoneer’s pack, and a set of leather armor, any simple weapon, and two daggers.
  • Wizard
    • Wizards are magic users that pull their magic from the spells they known, and as a result can change the fabric of reality. These spells can change substances, open portals to draw creature in and out of their world, control elements, and in some extreme cases, reanimate the dead. The hit die for a wizard is 1d6 per wizard level, with proficiency saving throws in Intelligence and Wisdom, and a primary ability in Intelligence. Starting equipment for a wizard consists of either a quarterstaff or dagger, a component pouch or an arcane focus, a scholar’s pack or explorer’s pack, and a spellbook.

Specialty Classes:

• Artificer
    • Artificers are a specific class in D&D that has managed to harness the world’s magic with their own ingenuity to create extraordinary objects within the world. Artificers use a wide range of tools and components to harness their arcane power, ranging anywhere from a calligrapher’s supplies to an alchemist’s supplies, and are often the person the party will turn to for a specific tool or idea. The hit die for an artificer is 1d8 per artificer level, with proficiency saving throws in Constitution and Intelligence, and a primary ability In Intelligence. Starting equipment for an artificer consists of any two simple weapons, a light crossbow with 20 bolts, either studded leather armor or scale mail, thieves’ tools, and a dungeoneer’s pack. Artificers can also choose to trade this starting equipment for 5d4x10 (rolling 5d4 and then multiplying that by 10) and get that amount in starting gold to purchase their own equipment and tools.
  • Blood Hunter
    • Blood hunters, created by voice actor and DM Matt Mercer, are warriors who seek to eliminate the evils in the world. These characters utilize blood magic and the arcane held within it, and are willing to sacrifice their own life force and humanity for their cause. These characters sacrifice a significant part of themselves in devotion to the study of hemocraft (blood magic), and often are forever altered because of it. The hit die for a blood hunter is 1d10 per blood hunter level, with proficiency saving throws in Dexterity and Intelligence, and a primary ability in either Strength or Dexterity, and Intelligence or Wisdom. Starting equipment for a blood hunter consists of either a martial weapon or two simple weapons, a light crossbow with 20 bolts, either studded leather armor or scale mail armor, and either an explorer’s pack or alchemist’s supplies.

Resources to learn:

• DnD Beyond
    • D&D Beyond has all of lore, characterization tools, and descriptions of every spell, item, monster, etc. in the game. D&D Beyond is a great resource for beginners, especially during character creation. The website is able to help guide you through character creation, explaining the process and giving inspiration for background and traits when needed, and will store your character for you. This way, your character is able to travel with you, and eliminates the need for paper character sheets should you want to do so. https://www.dndbeyond.com/
  • D&D Player’s Handbook
    • The D&D Player’s Handbook is another great resource for beginners learning how to play, or if you need to brush up on a spell, class feature, or racial trait. The Handbook neatly organizes all you’d need to know about playing the game, the basic rules and character within it, and aids in creating characters and getting started.
  • Watching Critical Role (highly recommend)
    • The webseries Critical Role is a great way to learn how to play D&D. Formed by a group of voice actors, the series is currently on its third campaign with two finished campaigns (each with 100+ episodes), and a handful of one-shots (campaigns that only last a few hours). The best way to learn D&D is to actually start playing it, and by watching others play it you’ll pick up a lot that the books won’t tell you. Something to keep in mind, however, is that your experience will not be mirrored perfectly to that of the Critical Role cast, and that’s okay. These are professional voice actors who have been friends and been playing together for over a decade, and have a plethora of resources available to them. Your campaign may not have the most elaborate maps, best voices, or wide range of characters, and that’s okay! As long as you and your group are having fun, that’s what is most important.

Advice from experienced players:

Trust Your Dungeon Master and Your Party

Your DM and your party are there to work with you in your game, not hinder it. Trust that your DM isn’t trying to kill you in the first session, you and your party are working towards a common goal, and that you are a group working together, not a group of individuals on their own tracks. The biggest piece of advice that I kept seeing over and over from friends was that you need to remember that D&D is a group story, meaning that you shouldn’t try to be the protagonist all the time. Sometimes you will be, often when your backstory is called into play, and in that case it’s perfectly okay to play out more! However, sometimes it works better for the story if someone else takes the lead, and more often than not, the best outcome comes when the group works together and joins their collective power. Don’t be afraid to fail, as your party will be there to help you, and celebrate when a party member does well!

Ask For Help, Change The Game, and Make It Your Own.

A big thing in D&D is that it becomes what you make of it, meaning that if something isn’t working for you or the party, ask the DM and see if you can change it. D&D is supposed to be fun, meaning that if you’re not having fun you don’t have to stay stuck in a game that isn’t working. In the same vein, don’t let the rules of the game constrict what you can do. If you really want to do something but the rules aren’t allowing you to, talk to your DM and see if there isn’t a loophole or override that you can use. More often than not, your DM will abide by the “Rule of Cool” (letting something cool happen in spite of the rules) and will be willing to work with you to make something epic happen. Another big thing is asking for help! While many players recommend coming into your first session understanding things like spell slots, racial traits, class features, and understanding how a stat sheet works, no one truly knows every piece of lore and detail in D&D. By asking for help, you’ll enjoy the game much more, and perhaps learn some new tricks in the process!

Characterization

Characterization is huge in D&D, as there’s a very good chance you’ll be playing as a character for long periods of time, so make a character that you want to play as! Give your character some backstory, and familiarize yourself with them, as backstory can play a big factor in the game and your character’s motives. Be mindful as well of team composition. Your DM will aide with this too, but if there are already two clerics in the party it may be wise to choose a more fighting-based character rather than healing based. Another incredibly important thing is to not focus too much on effectiveness and optimization. Be willing to take chances in the game even if the outcome is unclear, and realize that what is the most optimal outcome for this particular story arc may go against what is good for your character, and that’s okay! Even if it’s not optimal for your character, they could still learn and grow from this event in-game. In the same vein, don’t stress about having a perfectly optimized character with every combat turn being 100% effective. For one, it is statistically impossible for every roll to be perfect in-game. Another is that the game wouldn’t be what it is without failures, and that is how the game progresses. By taking chances and making mistakes, you’ll have a better game, and learn not only how to fail, but how to rely on your party members when you need help. In the same vein, don’t worry about reaching level 20 (the highest level). Level 20 takes a long time to achieve, and many players don’t achieve it in their campaign, and that’s okay! Instead of the focus being on getting to level 20, concentrate on playing the level that you’re at to the best of your ability, and you will naturally level up and learn as the campaign progresses.

All in all, with whatever you decide to do, have fun, don’t take the game too seriously, and may the dice be in your favor.

Other Citations

Avantris, Legends of. “How to Roll for Stats in D&D 5E: Beginner’s Guide & Rules.” wikiHow, wikiHow, 20 Aug. 2023, www.wikihow.com/Roll-for-Stats-5e.

Bernier, Mike. “What Exactly Are Hit Dice in 5E?” Arcane Eye, 7 June 2023, arcaneeye.com/mechanic-overview/hit-dice-5e/.

“Character Classes for Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) Fifth Edition (5E).” D&D Beyond, www.dndbeyond.com/classes. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

“Character Races for Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) Fifth Edition (5E).” D&D Beyond, www.dndbeyond.com/races. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

Contributors to Dungeons & Dragons Lore Wiki. “Hit Dice.” Dungeons & Dragons Lore Wiki, Fandom, Inc., dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Hit_dice. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

“D&D Dice Explained.” Die Hard Dice, www.dieharddice.com/pages/dnd-dice-explained. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

“DND 5th Edition.” Artificer – DND 5th Edition, dnd5e.wikidot.com/artificer. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

Oxman, Demaris. “Dungeons & Dragons: All Six Main Stats, Explained.” Game Rant, 17 Oct. 2021, gamerant.com/dungeons-dragons-all-six-stats-ability-scores-explained/.

Oxman, Demaris. “Dungeons & Dragons: Every Alignment, Explained.” Game Rant, 8 June 2021, gamerant.com/dungeons-dragons-alignment-explained/.

Parsley, Mike. “How to Roll and Read Percentile Dice.” Dice Glory, 2 Dec. 2021, diceglory.com/how-to-roll-percentile-dice/.  

Isabel is currently an English major at JMU who loves dancing, crocheting, and reading romance novels. You can find her working on a new project, trying to make a dent in her TBR, or rolling dice at her weekly D&D sessions.