Breaking all the (Fashion) Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As fashion week wraps up and fall is looming ahead, I was thinking about the weird fashion rules that we generally never follow i.e “no white after Labor Day.”  After doing a little bit of digging into the history of this so-called rule, I still wonder how this rule, along with others have been so engrained into our minds. 

The explanation for not wearing white after Labor Day is practical.  White has historically been associated with feelings of cool and fresh, therefore, as soon as summer fades, so does our wardrobe.  Socialites and the upper class living in the city would trade in their whites for darker colors, and soon enough it became a status symbol.  But where did these weird rules come from?  And why do we often hesitate to break such informal norms?

Mixing browns with navy and black.  I have to admit I had a bit of a complex about this one until relatively recently.  Now I love combining that cute black dress with a brown belt and heels.  There are so many examples of celebrities and models who effectively pull off this look so why can’t the rest of us!

The bag and shoes have to match.  Well this one is just silly and definitely not budget friendly for the average college student.  If I went out having to match my heels with my clutch, I would run out of choices after, well, one night.  Granted, Port Republic Road is the opposite of a red carpet event, but I think mix matching can make anyone stand out if done correctly of course.

Mixing metals.  I am generally a follower of sticking with either silver or gold—never combining.  However, I don’t see why not.  Like most mix matching, it can make a statement yet I have a hard time pulling this off. 

What do you guys think of these rules?  Do you follow them or feel obligated to do so?  I mean, rules are meant to be broken, right?!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!