Audrey Cannon: Future YouTube Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Audrey Cannon, a freshman from Richmond, VA, may seem like the quiet, sweet girl from your English Lit class, but she’s got a hidden talent: her voice! You can bet that if she isn’t singing aloud, she’s got songs playing in her head. Most people who hear Audrey sing are shocked that she hasn’t auditioned for American Idol or that she isn’t studying music. Audrey’s amazing talent for singing has her hallmates often drifting into her room whenever they hear her sing. Last semester, she even created some cover songs and put them on her YouTube channel.  Her talent is evidence that people can and will surprise you. You never know what hobbies or talents someone has until you get to know them.

HerCampusJMU: When did you first start singing?
Audrey: I have been singing for as long as I can remember, but I joined chorus in sixth grade and by senior year I was in a chamber choir, a show choir, and an a cappella group.  Because music was such a big part of my life in high school, it was hard not having it in my life when I started at JMU.  This is the major reason I decided to create a YouTube channel; I desperately needed a creative outlet for my music!

HerCampusJMU: Is it true that you play your cover songs by ear? Did you ever have piano lessons?
Audrey:  I have had various piano lessons in my childhood, but for the most part I learn by ear.  I really started teaching myself to play by ear at the beginning of high school, and once I realized how much fun it was to accompany myself, I became addicted!

HerCampusJMU: What is your favorite song/artist to sing and what is your favorite music to just listen to?
Audrey: I usually describe my favorite style as acoustic and somewhat jazzy.  I love Ingrid Michaelson (and was thrilled to see her perform at JMU in the Fall), Sara Bareilles, and Jason Mraz.

HerCampusJMU: Would you ever consider pursuing a career in music? How about auditioning for American Idol?
Audrey: Right now, I think of music as more of a hobby, but if I could find a way to make a living through my passion, I don’t think I could turn it down!  As for American Idol, I loved watching it growing up, but auditioning will always just be a distant dream.

HerCampusJMU: Are you planning on filming any covers over the summer?
Audrey: I will definitely keep making covers over the summer.  I will have more free time to learn music on both piano and ukulele, and I know my brother will be willing to help me with the cinematography.

HerCampusJMU: Have you written any of your own music?
Audrey: I have not written anything very seriously, but I have definitely been entertaining the idea for a while. I wrote one completely original song for a Shakespeare project senior year, performed it live, and made a music video.  That was definitely a big step for me!

HerCampusJMU: We hear that not only are you a talented singer – you’re also an athlete! Tell us about your involvement in Triathlon club.
Audrey: I joined Triathlon Club my first semester at JMU, trained all year, and raced in my first triathlon this spring.  Not only do I love the sport, but I have met the most incredible people through the club.  I know the sport is something I will participate in the rest of my life.

HerCampusJMU: You are almost a sophomore! How was your first year at JMU?
Audrey: I have made the most amazing memories my first year at JMU. I couldn’t have asked for better hall-mates; I know that I will keep these friends for the rest of my life.  I feel so fortunate to have had such a great experience!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.