Ashley Pennino: The Spirited Socialite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Ashley Pennino, a socialite and popular Greek life girl, expresses a lively  attitude when it comes to our beautiful school, JMU. As a junior at JMU studying kinesiology with a concentration in sports and recreation management and a minor in business, Ashley takes her studies seriously but also knows how to have a good time when she has free time. 

Her beautiful smile is radiant along with her shining personality as we met on a breezy day on the quad. She flaunts her stuff in her Zeta Tau Alpha attire and exhaustingly sits down and tells me about her busy day.

It is clear Ashley has JMU spirit and a true love for our school. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about JMU? 

A: Oh that’s tough… I truly love everything about this campus but if I had to choose, I would say the JMU environment and culture. No matter where you go on campus, the students and faculty are so sweet and friendly. You can just tell that the students here actually do bleed purple and gold. Since my mom and sister are JMU alumnae, not only is JMU sacred to me but also to my family. Also, the food here isn’t half bad. 

Q: Why did you choose to become a partof a sorority? How have you benefitted from it personally?

A:I joined Zeta because I was looking to get more involved on campus and it really opened a new door to events and organizations I would have never known about. I feel like I can confide in any one of my sisters and they are always there for me—this is beneficial for me and for them. We have created such a bond–a bond that I never would have known existed unless I joined Zeta. I can honestly say that these girls are not only my best friends but my family as well. 

Q: What event or activity have you done that really inspired you?

A: Volunteering for the Think Pink JMU football game. My aunt has successfully won the battle against breast cancer so it was just a small way of supporting breast cancer awareness and research. The cause is so close to my heart and, I would think, just about everyone has been impacted by cancer in one-way or another. It was an invigorating experience and it was just so cool to see everyone (even guys) wear pink and really supporting this cause. It was an uplifting experience. I felt as if I directly made a difference. 

Q: Do you have any future plans mapped out?

A: Well, in the future, my plan as of now is to graduate in spring 2013 and to hopefully find a marketing career in the sports industry. Grad school is also another possibility.
I don’t know quite yet though, it is kind of up in the air! 

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!