Alexandra Joy Levenson: Queen of the Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity student-directed our Main Stage Theater play right here in Forbes! Her talent brought light to a performance in a unique way and her passion for theatre came through in the production of “SubUrbia”. Here’s what she has to say about the experience!

Name: Alexandra Joy Levenson

Major: Theatre and Dance with a concentration in Musical Theatre

Year: 2015

Hometown: Potomac, Md.

Her Campus JMU: What made you want to be involved in theatre?

Alexandra: When I was a little girl, my grandmother took me to a showing of “Les Miserables” at the Kennedy Center. I don’t remember much, but I do remember the character Eponine. I remember not knowing what was going on, but just really following her story emotionally. I wanted to move people, too, like Eponine. 

HC JMU: How was your experience with “SubUrbia”?

Alexandra: Fantastic! We had a shorter amount of time than most main stages, so of course there was stress, but it was still fun. The show “SubUrbia” itself is a hard one to swallow because of the reality that the audience can find in it.

All of the actors, management team, Rachel Wolf, and anyone else involved was so dedicated and professional about it. I was learning a lot about life and myself in general throughout; however I learned the most watching the performances every night. This was not an enjoyable show, I mean if you saw it, “enjoyable” wouldn’t be a word to describe it. For me it was more of a journey.

HC JMU: What was your favorite part about the play itself?

Alexandra: I love how this play can affect people and mess with the audiences’ minds. In every scene, just when you think things will go right something gets in the way. Eric Bogosian gives us these beautiful intense characters that each take their own journeys, and are all envious of each other. This makes the plot even thicker because everyone has their own agenda that clashes and collides with each other.

HC JMU: What was your favorite part about directing as a student?

Alexandra: This is a hard one. I think one of the reasons is because I got to watch a professional and someone I look up to do his work. It was also fun to collaborate with Wolf and discuss things after the run of the show for example, the energy, the costumes, and more. It was fun to be able to be asked for my input on something that meant so much to Wolf.

Another reason was the cast consisted of my friends and we could still maintain our professionalism, and respect for each other while having fun. 

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!
Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!