Career > Her20s

A Guide To Dating In Your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Your twenties are a time for many things: career changes, nights out with friends, and some major romance ups and downs. Dating in your twenties can be difficult and messy. Very, very messy.

So, I spoke with some women and sought out their best dating advice for your early 20s, and what they said is everything.

Have fun

Dating in your twenties should be fun and exciting.

Your twenties is about taking risks and exploring new things. Enjoy the excitement, uncertainty, and freedom of it all.

Love yourself first

The only way to eventually have a healthy relationship with someone else is to have a strong sense of self. Read that and then read it again, and again, and again.

You will only be able to expect what you can offer. Take the time to grow as an individual.

Don’t stress

Trust me, you will get over it. You will heal.

The drama, stress, and heartbreak that comes with dating can feel like the end of the world. But I promise, it is not. Healing takes time, but once you conquer it, you will realize that you came out of it stronger than before. Finding the right person takes time but You will learn more about yourself with every relationship you go through.

I like to compare dating to this analogy that I learned in my senior year philosophy class: Think of dating as a river current. You are floating on your back letting the current take you. The more you try to fight against the current, the more difficult it is to stay afloat. But if you stay calm and let the current take you, the current will take you to your destination.

I know that sounds silly but it’s true!

legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

Know your love language

Knowing your love language is crucial for a successful dating experience. Love language tests are designed to show you what type of lover you are and what type of love you need. It allows you to understand what is most important to meet your emotional needs.

Being able to communicate what you want and need to your partner is very important for the quality of a relationship. It’s easy, take a few minutes to find a reliable love language quiz online.

Do not compare yourself

I have a twin sister who has been in a healthy relationship for 6 years…and I’m single…. so ya… it’s hard to not compare my relationship status to hers.

But I promise it is so important to not compare yourself to others, especially when it comes to relationships. Remember that everyone’s lives look different and move at different paces. Trust that your pace is unique. Also remember that you never know what is going on in someone’s relationship. Focus on yourself and your own love life.

penelope bridgerton?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX

some things aren’t forever and that’s ok

Some people will be good for you, some will not.

Try not to stress about the relationships that do not work out. Take every experience and learn from it. It may not seem like it at the time, but you learn more about yourself with every relationship you face. Allow yourself the freedom to explore new relationships without putting to much pressure on yourself.

Your life is so much more than a relationship status

You are worthy of love, but you are not completed by it. Don’t let your relationship status define you and recognize your value you beyond it.

Meredith is a recent college graduate and PR professional who loves writing about all things beauty, lifestyle, health, wellness, and pop-culture. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can catch her going on long walks, playing with her two dachshunds, or catching up on her latest TV obsession, Law and Order.