This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches and the scent of love fills the air, you can’t help but wonder what one has in store for the magical day. Valentine’s Day is a bit controversial, as there are many out there who love it and many who don’t. But wouldn’t we all love Valentine’s Day if we could adapt to that ’90s type of love? Whatever happened to the courting of one another, bringing a girl roses and/or some chocolate and making her feel special?

Nowadays love has resorted to text messages like ‘you up?’ or seeing a girl on the street and whistling at her. I should be the last person to talk about love and what makes it special since I have never been in love. But I believe in a gentle, sweet type of love where you court the girl you like. Yes, passion is good, but it isn’t everything.

I was watching this TikTok the other day and the caption read, “Why are your standards so high?” then there were flashes of love stories in movies that a lot of girls aspire to and some of them were from the ’90s.

I then went on to watch a few more with the same caption and while there are people out there that are going to say this type of love is purely fictional, I disagree. Love is in the small gestures just as much as in the big ones. It’s the little things they notice that truly define their love. Anyone can perform the big gestures, it’s not that hard, but knowing the color of someone’s eyes, or their different faces can make someone’s day. Knowing every little thing that could tick your partner off or an action that would brighten their day means you have to put in work and actually pay attention. Taking the time to notice these things shows a true connection.

In the ’90s and even earlier, this was plentiful, the norm. Nowadays, this type of behavior is a dime a dozen. Goodbye courtship, flowers or asking a parent’s permission, hello to ‘you up’ texts. Let’s hope it just takes the right pairing to set off that ’90s type of love. But for now, get used to the era of text messages and readable dates.

God bless the ones who have been lucky so far. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Mia is a first-year at James Madison University studying engineering and pre-med. She likes music, dance, writing and science.