This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Sweaters are packed away and so are the boots, all for dresses and sandals to come out to play. With the final passing of winter, students are eager to get some much needed warm, spring air into their lungs. Are you finding yourself stuck on what to do with this spring? Here are some new things to try this spring!

1. Go Hiking

With the beautiful weather spring brings, why would anyone want to sit inside? With JMU in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, hiking is a must this spring. I asked recent graduate Sydney Smith and Junior Madelyn Smith where some of their favorite places to hike were and they said Dragon’s Tooth, White Oak Canyon, Devil’s Marble Yard, Blue Hole and Reddish Knob are all great options!

(Pic By: Sydney Smith)

(Pic By: Madelyn Smith)

2. Picnic!

Who wants to sit in a dining hall when it’s beautiful outside?! Grab a few friends or your significant other, pack a picnic lunch, and go enjoy some nature!

3. Puppy Farm

Puppies are always a good idea, so why not make a trip to Gap View Ranch and Kennel and get your puppy lovin’ in! Make sure to call and make an appointment first though!

Pics By: Abby Fine

4. Go to the arboretum!

Take advantage of all the beautiful plants blooming this spring and take a walk through Edith J. Carrier Arboretum! And for you graduating seniors, this is a perfect place to have your pictures taken! (For those who aren’t graduating, this would be a perfect spot for that picnic!)

5. Spring Cleaning

A messy work area makes for a messy mind. Spend a little time to declutter your dorm room or apartment to clear your mind.

6. Quad Chillin’

I mean, who doesn’t love a nice day on the quad? You might come across come cute Quad puppies running around or hear some people having a mini jam session with their guitars. There’s always something going on around the Quad, so why not join in on the fun?

7. Volunteer

Giving back to your community is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Take some time between studying, and hanging out with your friends to give back to a worthy cause! Join a team and walk for Relay for Life, or donate to Cat’s cradle!

This spring, take a few of your friends and go try some new things!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.