5 Ways to Reuse Your Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Use it to make a scarecrow

Tired of crows coming up to your apartment? Have a neighbor you’re trying to keep away from coming to hang out while you nap? Stuff whatever your costume was with some old paper and hang it up outside of your door. Guaranteed to work.

2. Make it into a hip & trendy tote bag

Nothing says hip like doing it yourself. Tear up that ref shirt and sew it into a tote. Everyone will envy as you walk to class with it, even if the sleeves you made into a handle are kind of ripping.

3. Use it as a social experiment

See how people react when you wear that cow costume to your Tuesday/Thursday classes. It might not get the best reactions, but at least you didn’t dress up as a clown!

4. Use it as an apartment decoration

Nothing says “I have my life together” quite like a witch hat sitting on top of your TV. It’ll look so *chic* year-round, even though you mostly just don’t have a good place to store it. That Harley Quinn shirt you wore on Saturday will look awesome framed and hanging on the wall. It’s just what your living room needs!

5. Be really really really prepared for next Halloween

Never too early to start planning! Tastefully re-use this year’s Halloween costume by slightly changing your presentation next year. Wore shorts? Try leggings next time. Wore your hair in curls? Try that ponytail. Nobody will even know it’s the same outfit.

Sophomore SMAD major at JMU with a passion for people, donuts, music, coffee and pretending to do homework outside. If you watch Parks and Recreation we'll get along just fine.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.