This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It feels like yesterday when I moved into my freshman dorm, with two SUVs filled to the brim of my belongings, saying goodbye to my parents and practically living with strangers. Little did I know, that was the start of the best four years of my life. I’m not the scared girl that moved into her freshman dorm anymore and thank goodness for that. I’ve grown, learned a lot, and am ever sad to leave the place I have called home for the past four years. Below, I’ve compiled a list of 22 pieces of advice from a member of the Class of 2022. Advice that I wish I had known sooner.

1. You will stay close with the high school friends that matter. The ones meant to be in your life forever. Even if it’s only a couple. 
  2. A school of 20,000 people is smaller than you think, and you will run into people you thought you would never see again. 
  3. The first year is challenging academically, even if you think you’re taking easy gen-eds. Take them seriously. Especially the easy GPA boosters. You will thank yourself later. 
  4. Figure out what you can see yourself doing after college. If you have no idea, take classes that interest you and go from there. Gain experience in whatever that field is, no experience is too little!
  5. Join greek life, clubs, business fraternities, etc. You never know who you will meet or what organization will change your life. You can always quit if you don’t like it, but give it a try while you’re an underclassman. 
  6. Go to a party even if you have homework to do. Life is short. Unless you’re legitimately failing a class, then maybe stay in if you have an exam the next day. Have a healthy social life and school balance. 
  7. Boys lie. Unfortunately, this one never changes.
  8. You’re never going to convince your friend to break up with their significant other who’s a complete jerk. Let them learn on their own time, and be there to support them. 
  9. Don’t gossip about your friends. It will get back to them. It’s a red friendship flag if you witness people talk poorly about those who are supposed to be their best friends. If they are willing to talk shit about them to you, they will have no problem doing the same about you. 
  10. When people show you their true colors, believe them the first time.
  11. No one will judge you for choosing not to drink as long as you don’t judge others who choose to drink. 
  12. Drunk words are almost always sober thoughts.
  13. Remember to make wholesome memories too. Have movie nights, go on a hike with your friends, or make D-Hall brunch a Saturday morning tradition.
  14. Buy earplugs. The dorm never sleeps. Maybe a sleeping mask too.
  15. Establish boundaries with your roommate in the beginning. Noise, lights, time in the room, guests, etc. Do it early so there are no surprises. Communicate if something is bothering you. 
  16. Don’t feel pressured to sign a lease for sophomore year housing during the first semester. Prices usually go down later, and off-campus apartments are lying about running out of units. Most importantly, it’s just not smart to sign a contractually binding lease with people you’ve only known for a month.
  17. Hang out in your dorm’s common area or TV lounge. You never know if you’ll make a friend there that isn’t on your floor. 
  18.  Be nice to your RA. They have a hard job and just want to keep you safe. Most of the time, they do not want to get you in trouble.  
  19. Go to the professor’s office hours before it’s too late. They are much more willing to help you throughout the semester than if you go to them the week before finals and you’re super behind. 
  20. On that note, try to know your professors. You may want a letter of recommendation from them down the line. 
  21. Check-in with yourself often. How you’re feeling physically, mentally, and emotionally. This is a tough transition. Reach out if you need help, there are plenty of campus resources that want to help you.  
  22. This time will fly by faster than you think. Enjoy it, have fun, learn, and grow. 

Just like that, my four years have come to an end. I am genuinely grateful for every experience, every up and down, and the people I’ve been so lucky to meet. I’ll be taking everything I’ve learned with me to my next chapter. Good luck and have a great rest of your college experience. 

Hi! I'm Ashley and I am currently studying Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication at James Madison University. I also have a minor in Political Science. I serve as the JMU Her Campus Chapter's Senior Editor on the Executive Board. Thank you for taking the time to read my articles!