The 2011 Mr. and Mrs. Madison!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you made it to last week’s Homecoming football game (and beared the rain to stay until halftime), you saw Carlos Ruiz and Katie Nowell be crowned the newest Mr. and Ms. Madison. Voted on by none other than fellow JMU students, both Carlos and Katie accepted their title in our brand new stadium. So here’s your Mr. and Ms. Madison 101…

Carlos Ruiz is a political science and international affairs major out of Fredericksburg, Virginia. When he’s not working in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life as Assistant Greek Coor
dinator, he loves playing sports and running.  He also likes to “shuffle, a lot.”  

Katie is a health service administration major with biology and business minors. All the way from Germantown, Tennessee, Katie enjoys running (she’s done two half-marathons already!), skiing, and attending Greek InterVarsity. This high school homecoming queen also works in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life as an Assistant Greek Coordinator and in a research lab studying Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Let’s see what they had to say when they met with Her Campus JMU!  

HCJMU: Why did you choose JMU?

CR: I chose JMU because of the student atmosphere. 
I had the opportunity to visit and stay the weekend 

with some students before I attended.  This allowed me
to gain an insight of how the students interacted
and inspired me to be a part of the community. 

KN: I moved around a lot growing up, but have lived several places in Virginia and always knew I might want to go to college in Virginia. I was living in Italy for my senior year of high school, so I really could have gone anywhere. However, we heard that we were most likely moving to Virginia, so naturally JMU came to the top of my college list. My best friend from high school was also considering JMU and had told me how wonderful a place it was and how kind and welcoming all the students were on her visit. Once I received my early acceptance letter I was sold. My mom jokes that I chose JMU because my favorite color is purple, but I could never admit that! 

HCJMU: What has been your favorite JMU memory so far?

CR:  My favorite JMU memory would have to be being a FrOG.  Through this position I was able to initiate the class of 2013 into the JMU community.  I still interact with my FrOG group today and could not have asked for a better group of individuals to share that experience with.

KN: There have been far too many amazing memories to have just one favorite! However, one of my favorites is my very first Homecoming game. I had just joined a sorority and we were having an Alumni brunch for everyone coming back. Having just joined the organization, I hardly knew any of the alumni. It was amazing to see their love and enthusiasm for JMU. It made me aspire to have experiences that would enhance my time at JMU and make me appreciate it like these alumnae.  

HCJMU: What organization at JMU has made you feel most at home?

CR: The SGA definitely has made me feel welcomed here.  When I was a freshman I ran for Freshman Class President and being elected helped me get to know all the people in the SGA and how I could make a difference on this campus.  However, Air Force ROTC has fully developed me into a leader that I am today.  There is something about waking up at 6 a.m. and seeing a bunch of motivated people in one area that gets me hyped and ready for the day.  Without this organization I do not know where I would be today.

KN: I am involved in several organizations here on campus that have helped me find my place here at JMU. Some of these organizations include Ski and Snowboard Race Team, Greek Intervarsity, HASA, and Zeta Tau Alpha.  ZTA nominated me for Ms. Madison and I can’t thank them enough for that opportunity. I joined ZTA as a freshman and immediately found a group of friends I connected with and found something to be passionate about. I love Zeta’s philanthropy, Breast Cancer Awareness, and have a great time supporting this cause. ZTA also gave me an opportunity to hold leadership positions, which I took advantage of. I served as President of Zeta my sophomore and junior year and I am now serving as the leader of the bible study. I have met friends that I will keep for a lifetime and feel so at home with my sisters. I feel so blessed to be in such an amazing organization and a part of something so great! 

HCJMU: How does it feel to be the newest Mr. and Ms. Madison?
CR: I am truly honored to be selected for such a title.  I always looked highly upon those who held the title and now I am amongst them.  It is humbling to think that my peers believe that I embody the spirit of JMU and it only reinforces the fact that I feel right at home here at JMU!

KN: It is honestly a surreal experience! I am so flattered for being nominated by my organization and that everyone at JMU felt that I embodied the JMU spirit. I just hope that I can live up to the standards Dolly set for us as the first Mrs. Madison! It was so much fun to be recognized at the game and I was in utter shock and disbelief when my name was called. I hope I am creating an impact on campus and that people will be inspired to make changes here at JMU!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!