10 Spooktacular Nail Designs to Rock This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Show off your Halloween spirit all month with these scary cute nail designs.

Bats

What you’ll need: Nude nail polish, bat nail stickers, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint all your nails with a nude or light salmon color. It might take more than one coat to get a darker shade.

Step 2: Let dry.

Step 3: Drawing bats might be a little hard to do with a brush, so why not make it easier by using nail decals? Place the stickers randomly on all ten nails. Two to three on each nail depending on the size.

Step 4: To ensure the stickers stay, finish the look with a clear top coat.

Dripping Blood

What you’ll need: White nail polish, red nail polish, dotting tool, clear top coat

Step 1: Created the look using a white polish as the base. Don’t have white nail polish laying around? A very pale pink or nude polish will work too!

Step 2: With a dotting tool and red polish, place four random dots along the top of the nail. If you don’t have a dotting tool, you can create the dots by using a bobby pin, the ball of a sewing straight pin or a toothpick.

Step 3: Connect the dots to the tip of your nail

Step 4: Seal with a clear top coat

Black Cat

What you’ll need: Purple nail polish, black nail polish, yellow nail polish, nail art brush

Step 1: Using your choice of purple nail polish, paint all ten nails.

Step 2: After the nails have dried completely, with a nail art brush and black polish create the head of the cat–a half oval shape. Connect triangles as ears.

Step 3: Let dry.

Step 4: To make the eyes, use a nail art brush and yellow paint. Draw two almond-shaped eyes. Let dry.

Step 5: Inside the eyes, draw small black ovals. Let dry and seal with a clear top coat.

Disney

What you’ll need: White nail polish, Disney halloween nail decals, clear top coat

Step 1: Created the look by using a white polish as the base. Let dry.

Step 2: Place one sticker on each nail.

Step 3: In order to keep the stickers to keep from falling off or peeling, finish the look with a clear top coat.

Googly Eyes

What you’ll need: Black nail polish, white nail polish, clear top coat, dotting tool

Step 1: Start off by painting the nails all black. This will serve as the base of the design. Let dry completely.

Step 2: With a dotting tool and white polish, place one or more pairs of eyes on each nail. Let dry.

Step 3: Once again, with a smaller dotting tool and black polish, go back and add a black dot inside the white dot. Let dry.

Step 4: Use a clear top coat to seal.

Stitches

What you’ll need: Lime green nail polish, black nail polish, clear top coat, nail art brush

Step 1: To create this look start by painting all your nails green. If you’re not a fan of the bright color, feel free to use a different shade.

Step 2: After one or two coats, let dry completely.

Step 3: With a thin nail art brush and black polish, make one diagonal line on each nail. Connect two or more lines to the first diagonal line.

Step 4: Go back and add the stitching detail with with black polish and the nail art brush.

Step 5: Top with a clear coat.

Spooky Friends

Mummy

What you’ll need: Black nail polish, white nail polish,red, nail polish, dotting tool, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint your both index fingers black and let dry.

Step 2: Lets start easy with the eyes. Using a dotting tool and white polish, make two dots at an upward angle. Let dry. Again with the same dotting tool and red paint, make a smaller dot inside the white dots.

Step 3: To make the mummy “wraps”, use a nail art brush and white paint. the lines can go in any direction.

Step 4: Finish the look with a clear top coat.

Frankenstein

What you’ll need: Lime green nail polish, black nail polish, dotting tool, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint your both ring fingers lime green and let dry.

Step 2: Using a nail art brush and black polish, start with the hair. Draw a half circle with pointed edges and fill. Using the same brush and color, draw stitches as mouth.

Step 3: With a dotting tool and black polish, make two eyes.

Step 4: Seal with a clear top coat.

Jack-O-Lanter

What you’ll need: Orange nail polish, black nail polish, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint your both middle fingers orange and let dry.

Step 2: With a nail art brush and black polish, make two triangles for the eyes and two for the nose. Fill them in completely.

Step 3: Using the same brush and color, make the mouth.

Step 4: Let dry and then finish with a clear top coat.

Ghost

What you’ll need:  White nail polish, black nail polish, nail art brush, dotting tool, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint your both pinky fingers black and let dry.

Step 2: With a nail art brush and white polish, draw and upside down “tear drop” and fill. Add two little arms.

Step 3: Let dry.

Step 4: Once again with the same brush and black polish this time, draw a mouth.

Step 5: With the dotting tool and black paint give the ghost two eyes. Let dry and seal with a clear top coat.

Spooky Patterns

Spider webs

What you’ll need: Black nail polish, white nail polish, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1: Start with a black base coat on your middle finger and let dry.

Step 2: Spiderwebs are super easy. With white polish and a nail art brush, start from a corner of your nail (top or bottom, left or right, doesn’t matter) and draw diagonal lines jutting out towards the center of your nail.

Step 3: Connect the lines with “drooping lines” to make the web effect. Two to three rows should do the trick.

Step 4: Seal by using a clear top coat.

Eyes

What you’ll need: Nude nail polish, white nail polish, light blue nail polish, black nail polish, dotting tool, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1: Paint each pinky nude and let dry completely.

Step 2: After the nails have dried, draw to almond-shaped eyes with white polish and let dry.

Step 3: Go back and with a dotting tool add blue dot. Let dry. With black polish go back and add a smaller dot on top of the blue dot.

Step 4: Outline the eye with black polish and the nail art brush. Add black lashes with the same brush.

Step 5: Let dry and seal with a clear top coat.

Skulls

What you’ll need: White nail polish, black nail polish, nail art brush, dotting tool

Step 1: Paint each pinky nail with white polish. Let dry.

Step 2: With black polish and a nail art brush, draw vertical line to make the mouth.

Step 3: With black polish and a dotting tool, go back and add two eyes and a nose.

Step 4: Finish by adding a clear top coat.

Frankenstein stitches

What you’ll need: Dark green glitter polish, black nail polish, clear top coat, nail art brush

Step 1: Paint your both thumbs with dark green glitter polish.

Step 2: Let dry.

Step 3: With a nail art brush and black polish, make one diagonal line on each nail. Connect two or more lines to the first diagonal line.

Step 5: Top with a clear coat.

Spiders

What you’ll need: Black nail polish, white nail polish, yellow nail polish, dotting tool, nail art brush, clear top coat

Step 1:  Start off by painting all ten nails white.

Step 2: Let dry.

Step 3: Paint a black circle on each nail all in different spots with a normal polish brush. Fill completely and let dry.

Step 4: Using a nail art brush and black polish, give the spider “hair” and legs. Draw a line from the circle to the top of the nail, this will be its web.

Step 5: With a white dotting tool and white paint, make the white part of the eye. For the bigger eyes, instead of using the dotting tool, draw them with a nail art brush.

Step 6: Once again, with a dotting tool and yellow polish, create the “iris” of the spiders eye.

Step 7: You’ll want to make the “pupil” last using a dotting tool and black polish.

Step 8: Seal with a clear top coat.

Spiderwebs

What you’ll need: Black nail polish, white nail polish, nail art brush, matte top coat

Step 1: Start with a black base coat and let dry.

Step 2: With white polish and a nail art brush, start from a corner of your nail and draw diagonal lines jutting out towards the center of your nail.

Step 4: Finish by using a matte top coat.

All pictures courtesy of Pinterest. 

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.