The True Story Behind Hulu’s The Act

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

On March 20, Hulu released a new original series The Act following the story of mother Claudinea (Dee Dee) Blanchard and her daughter Gypsy Rose. The drama thriller explores the “perfect” relationship between Dee Dee, the ideal caregiver, and Gypsy, her daughter who seems to have developmental delays.

In the first episode, Dee Dee tells their new neighbors that Gypsy has a sugar allergy. Later we find out that Gypsy can eat sugar, and in fact, sneaks off in the night to eat candies. This makes us think: what else is Dee Dee lying about?

As the story unfolds, the audience sees the cracks in their relationship and discovers that Gypsy’s illnesses may not be as real as we once believed. No real mother can claim love but trap her daughter in a wheelchair, right?

Or can they? The Act is based on a Buzzfeed article reporting the true story of Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose Blanchard. If you don’t like spoilers, stop reading! But, for those who do, the following is a look into the real lives of Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose.

Gypsy Rose is perfectly healthy. While Dee Dee claimed she had a plethora of illnesses including muscular dystrophy and leukemia, Gypsy Rose is a normal girl. Dee Dee lied about Gypsy’s illnesses to satisfy her drug addiction. She is also thought to have had Munchausen by Proxy syndrome. This is when a caregiver imposes illnesses and symptoms on the person under their care.

When Gypsy finally discovered the act, including finally finding out her real age, she wanted to find a way out. Using online dating sites, Gypsy met her future boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn. They explored and bonded over “dark sides”, including explorations of BDSM. Together they came up with an escape plan.

On June 14, 2015, Dee Dee was stabbed to death. Nicholas had killed Dee Dee so that Gypsy could escape. They ran away to his home in Wisconsin, but were quickly caught. Despite pleading not guilty, Nicholas was sentenced to life in prison. Gypsy was given a 10 year sentence in the Missouri Chillicothe Correctional Center, the minimum sentence for second degree murder. In 2023, she will be released with parole.

So how is Gypsy today? The 27 year old is apparently doing well. Unlike the show’s portrayal, Gypsy’s father and stepmother are involved in her life and have reported that she’s doing well in prison. Gypsy has been exploring her passion for photography, attending classes, and has a job. On an appearance on Dr. Phil, Gypsy revealed that she is remorseful her mother is dead, but is glad to be out of that situation.

Gypsy has not been able to watch The Act or Mommy Dead and Dearest (a movie following her life story) from prison, but plans on taking legal action against the show. She says they used her real name and story without obtaining life rights.

While Gypsy may not be a fan of The Act, critics love it. The show is acclaimed for its ability to create a dark atmosphere, the acting, and the writing. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a score of 91%.

No one is a stranger to crazy mothers. We all have our own stories and issues. But none compare to that of Dee Dee and Gypsy. So call your mom, remind her you love her, and say thank you.

Real Gypsy and Dee Dee (image credit)    

Hulu actors, Patricia Arquette as Dee Dee, and Joey King as Gypsy (image credit)

Freshman at JHU, from Maryland