Wellness > Health

Shots! Shots! Shots, Shots, Shots, Shots!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Soon the sick season will be upon us. All the freshmen will lie dormant in their beds as the “freshman plague” takes out another wave of victims. Coughs will echo across the library and no one in the FFC line will be safe from a sneeze. So how can you protect yourself this flu season? Stop by one of the free flu-shot clinics Hopkins offers to get the vaccine before the season begins!

As they do every year, scientists and researchers have made a prediction of what this year’s strain of influenza will be. Estimations have been calculated by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), and while last year’s flu shot was estimated to only be 36% effective, this year’s is predicted to be around 47%. While the promise that it will protect you from the flu seems like a toss-up, it doesn’t mean you should pass up a shot this year. While the shot is not guaranteed to protect you from contracting the flu, if you do fall ill, it is highly likely that the vaccine will lower the severity of your symptoms. 

Common misconceptions about the flu-shot always run rampant as the flu season approaches, but you can rest assured the shot is perfectly safe and proven to be moderately effective. The flu-shot does not “give you the flu,” and getting it every year does not lower its effectiveness. The vaccine is extremely safe and the CDC has administered hundreds of millions over the past 50 years. If you are still not convinced, at least get the vaccine to protect everyone around you.  While you may not be symptomatic, you can still spread the flu, and getting vaccinated not only helps you stay healthy but helps to keep those around you from contracting it. 

Researchers have also concluded that getting your flu shot by the end of October gives you the best protection against the flu, so get your shot at one of Hopkins’ flu shot clinics before the sick season is upon us all. 

Cost: $20 for private insurance; free for students with the school health benefit plan; also free for the first 75 students without the school health benefit plan at each clinic

Clinic Dates and Times: 

Monday, November 4

Levering: Great Hall (GRO coffee hour)

12-3 pm

Wednesday, November 13

BLC: 4040 Rubenstein Technology Room

4-7 pm

Wednesday, December 4

BLC: 4040 Rubenstein Technology Room

4-7 pm

I am a senior at Johns Hopkins University majoring in Biophysics. Here at Hopkins I am also a member of the Varsity Track & Field team, am involved in Biophysics research, and volunteer on the Medical Campus. I enjoy traveling, cooking, snowboarding, and anything outdoors.