Shopping at Giant on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Giant, the Land of Confused Hopkins Students

If you’ve never gone to Giant, it first requires surviving the Blue Jay shuttles with their slamming stops and tight turns. You have exactly three seconds to disembark before the driver slams on the gas and you topple out onto the pavement. Brush yourself off and get a cart. If you get a basket, you’re only deluding yourself, and your arms will ache by the end. Trust me, I’m speaking from experience.

Stepping inside Giant is like Alice arriving in Wonderland. There are bright lights, colors, and people over the age of 25. Even more startling, there’s evidence of the real world – holidays. I honestly forgot Halloween was a thing until I saw the candy lining the shelves. And Christmas decorations? Weird.

A Giant store card is a must. Students get 5% savings on all purchases, that means everything from chips to grapes to toilet paper (which you’ll need, because Housing seems to think it’s no longer necessary to deliver rolls on a weekly basis). Giant card holders also get the inside scoop on weekly store deals. I recommend checking the ads before you shop, as it can save you a lot of money. Signing up for a card does entail talking to a cashier at customer service, so you can’t hide behind the self-checkout with your earbuds in. It’s definitely worth the social anxiety, and your wallet will weep tears of relief.

What to Buy and What Not to Buy

Everyone is different, so if this isn’t helpful, carry on my wayward son!

1. I buy spinach or arugula for salads, because you get more from the store than you do from filling a box from the FFC. Save those precious FFC to-go containers for the more expensive items, like fruit.

2. Don’t buy apples! They’re so easy to get from the FFC, or as a side from Char Mar.

3. Meat is tricky, because no matter what, it’s expensive. My mom’s rule of thumb was to never buy chicken for more than $0.99/lb, but I’ve never seen it that cheap here in Baltimore. If you do buy it, go for the smaller package. It may seem like a better deal to get 10lbs of chicken breasts, but how are you going to store it? And more importantly, can you cook it before it spoils?

4. Check the ads. The cashiers are ferocious when it comes to discounts, so pick up one of the ~gasp~ paper ads at the front of the store, because they will ask you to tear out the coupon and scan it. Giant does have an app, but it can be difficult to use and often rejects your member card. Personally, I don’t think the app is worth it.

5. Frozen vegetables are your friend. They’re cheaper and save time – there is no washing or chopping needed. In contrast, if you buy perishable items like fresh broccoli or cauliflower, it’s easy to fall prey to “deals.” Giant might boast that you can get 5 cucumbers for $7, but what are you going to do with 5 cucumbers? Especially since they devolve into a mushy mess within the week. That doesn’t mean don’t buy fresh veggies, just be cautious and buy only what you need.

An aspiring writer with a love of cats, fitness, and chocolate.