matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Reflecting On My Time at the Public Defender’s Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

This summer, I had the opportunity to intern for my local Public Defender’s Office. As a pre-law student, I was excited to dip my toes into the legal world, and I looked forward to all that came with the job: visits to court, helping with projects, and exploring the potential of a professional career. 

Although prepared for my time at the PD’s office, I gained a whole new perspective on the role of communities in mental health, and an immense appreciation for the people working to improve the system.

I was assigned to be a Legal Intern for the Mental Health Department subsidiary of the office. I quickly realized how different this subset was from the general Public Defender’s Office. I watched one of my supervisors ask us if we knew how to clear an iPhone so that she could give hers to a juvenile client who had broken her phone. I watched interviews with veterans, in which the caseworker succeeded in getting the veterans to speak about painful memories that they had not discussed in decades. I watched attorneys outside of the courtroom, acting as lawyers, social workers, therapists, and counselors for clients from different backgrounds, most of whom would greatly benefit from professional help and support. 

Throughout my two months at the office, I experienced many emotions. I worried for the mentally ill clients who lacked the professional treatment they needed. I learned about the Baker Acts, the Florida Law that allows for involuntary commitment of individuals if someone feels they are in danger of harming themselves or others, and how this can sometimes be taken out of context. There is a rise of problem-solving courts, however, new attitudes and adopted principles are needed to contribute to the success of these courts as they currently lack the statures to support them. This then requires the judges to look at each case thoroughly and recognize the complexity of each individual’s mental illness. 

It was the hopefulness that allowed me to look back at my time at the office with fondness. I saw so many attorneys who spoke of clients in such a personal way, saw attorneys who would stay awake until 4 A.M working cases, never once regretting the professional choices they made. During a jail visit, a case worker told me she was going back to school in order to work with the government, and work towards understanding how law enforcement can navigate violent situations with mentally ill individuals to avoid both injuries and unjust charges. Throughout the office, from intern to attorney to case worker, everyone seemed to be so in tune with their purpose there, and it was evident that they were there to make a change.

My time at the PD’s office will always stay with me throughout the rest of my college career and beyond. It provided me with experience and firsthand knowledge, but also with the insight and wisdom that every individual has the power to contribute positively to their community with a little optimism and a lot of hard work and dedication.  

I am a sophomore at JHU majoring in international studies and history.