This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Name: Kayla Iannarelli
Year: Junior (Class of 2013)
Major: Chemistry (Spanish for the Professions Minor)

Campus Activities:

-Hopkins Emergency Response Unit (HERU)
-Hopkins Emergency Response Teaching Unit (HERTU)
*For clarification, the two divisions (HERU and HERTU) comprise the Hopkins Emergency Response Organization, HERO.*

Also,
-Caribbean Cultural Society (CCS)
-Supporting Hospitals Abroad with Resources and Equipment (SHARE)
-Women’s Club Basketball

Tell us a little about your experience at Hopkins!

Outside of academics, my experience at Hopkins has revolved around collegiate Emergency Medical Services (EMS), both in the city (on campus) and at a volunteer fire station in Baltimore County), and I have enjoyed every minute of it. In my opinion, there is not a better way to prepare for a career in medicine.

Are there any memories that especially stand out?

My favorite Hopkins memories are of Spring Fair Weekend and trips I have taken with my friends from Hopkins. I can distinctly remember the great times I’ve had each year at Spring Fair for the past three years. For me, it is always the most exciting and fun weekend of the year. I especially enjoy the concerts and parties at the recreation center, and all the food venders.

Operations Lieutenant of H.E.R.U is an amazing accomplishment! What is your favorite and least favorite part of your job?

Thank you! My least favorite part about being Operations Lieutenant is the negative effect it has had on friendships at times. Most of my closet friends at Hopkins are also members of the unit, and many have been members of the HERO Board of Directors with me. As Operations Lt., I have the final say on issues or disagreements regarding medical protocol and sometimes that has resulted in tiffs with friends. However, we always resolve our issues in the end!

What type of training does a Hopkins student need to do to be a part of H.E.R.U?

In order to be a part of HERU, a Hopkins student needs to be certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), and you must pass “The Challenge Test”. The great thing about the Hopkins Emergency Response Organization is that we have a teaching unit, HERTU, which certifies students as EMRs. Contact heru@jhu.edu for more information.

Where do you hope to be in 15 years?

I hope to be a specialized surgeon in academic medicine, and to be successfully balancing my career with being a wife and mother

What are your top 3 favorite things about Hopkins?

1. Its diverse student body
  2. Its proximity to other large cities like D.C. and Philadelphia
  3. Intersession

Gabrielle Cohen is an international studies major in the class of 2013 at The Johns Hopkins University. Born and raised in New England suburbia, she is the founder of Her Campus Johns Hopkins and is a member of Phi Mu. In the fall of 2011, she studied in Rome, Italy before returing to Hopkins! Follow her on Twitter at @gabrielleeanna!