HC Winter Fashion: Boots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Just after Thanksgiving, when the air turns from cool with a hint of frost to full out freezing temperatures. Because you can’t exactly drive to Brody, walking to class will become a rather excruciating effort in the chilly days ahead. That’s why it’s important to have a pair (or two…or three) of nice winter boots to get you to your 9 AM in one piece. And because we live on a college campus, it’s also important to have boots that are fashionable and convey your personal sense of style. So what do your boots say about you?

Uggs: Five years ago, Uggs were ubiquitous. Nowadays, people hate on Uggs a lot for many reasons, but no one can ever truly deny how comfortable they are. Girls who wear   Uggs value comfort- and who can really blame them? When you’ve been up all night studying for your Orgo exam, the last thing you should be worrying about is your feet looking fierce.

Riding boots: The riding boot crew, possibly the largest group here at Hopkins, value style and class. Almost any winter outfit looks more put-together and mature after donning a pair of leather riding boots. This style might be a bit too stuffy for some, but for those who like preppier styles and want to look like you just stepped out of a J-Crew catalog, these are the boots for you.

Combat boots: Wearing combat boots lets everyone know that you live an active life and aren’t concerned with the fussiness of fashion. Girls who wear combat boots are stylish while still preserving a relaxed, comfortable look. Whether going to a concert downtown or to the library, combat boots will take you everywhere.

Heeled boots: Urban fashionistas out there, these are for you. While I wouldn’t recommend walking down the Breezeway steps on an icy day wearing any kind of heels, if you can do it without breaking a bone, more power to you. Not many can pull off this sassy look for class, but hey, if you have it, flaunt it.

Duck boots: These tried and true classics are a must for any snowbird. Nothing will get you around better in a winter wonderland than duck boots. Plus, you have a guarantee that these boots will always be in style- I borrow my mom’s pair from when she was in college! And while they are certainly not girly, duck boots add an air of quirky hipster charm to otherwise blah outfits.