HC Sorority Life: Girl-Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

For the past week, very few could ignore the general hysteria and excitement around campus. Packs of underclassmen girls nervously gossiping and groups of tired, overworked upperclassmen girls struggling to keep up on schoolwork. But thankfully, last Thursday, it was all over. That’s right, sorority recruitment week is finally over at JHU. But sorority mania is far from over- secret week is fast approaching, the week where the new members are paired with older sisters who lavish them with gifts and frat boy serenades. While this is all good fun, finding a little or a big is easier said than done. Does endless dinner dates make your head ache? And with busy schedules, who has time to go out on a million “girl-dates”? Never fear! Here are five unconventional ideas for getting to know your sisters- while having fun and not falling behind on your schedule!

1. Baltimore Aquarium: While this destination isn’t exactly close to campus, the Baltimore Aquarium is definitely worth the trip! With just a quick ride on the JHMI and then the Charm City Circulator, you’ll get to the aquarium in no time. Be sure to go on Fridays after 5 to get the student discount- it makes the aquarium very affordable. And who wouldn’t want to kickstart the weekend looking at some fishies with some friends?
  2. Running: For those who value their exercise and don’t mind the cold, a run could be a perfect bonding time! It fits right into your schedule, plus running with someone else is both safer and more fun! Take a run through the gorgeous Guilford neighborhood or the scenic Druid Hill Park- both perfect for an afternoon jaunt with friends.
  3. Gilman Atrium: Considering this is Hopkins, girl dates can be a little hard to coordinate thanks to our usually intense workload. But who says you can’t hang out with a new friend while you do your homework? Schedule a meet up at the Gilman atrium if both of you have too much work to go out to dinner- instead, substitute some coffee at Alkimia.  Trust me, everyone needs a study break.
  4. Towson Mall: Find yourself in need of a new dress for an upcoming date party or some crazy accessories for a mixer? Grab some friends and head to the Towson Mall for some quality retail therapy. You’d be headed there anyway, so why not take this opportunity to bond with friends in an environment far away from the library and Brody.
  5. BMA: Feeling artsy? Have an afternoon? Walk over to the ultra convenient Baltimore Museum of Art and spend some time getting to know a friend while admiring some great works of art. You’ll leave feeling cultured AND make a new friend while you’re at it. What’s not to love?