HC How To: Voting in Maryland – Questions 4 & 6

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

November 6, 2012 is right around the corner. Soon, many of us will be participating in our very first presidential election. Because Hopkins is in Maryland, many students here are registered to vote here instead of their home state. For these students, Maryland’s specific ballot questions are largely unfamiliar. Most of us have a clear idea of which candidate we prefer, but what about the other issues?

Two important questions that new Maryland voters from Hopkins should look out for are question 4 and question 6.

Question 4 on Maryland’s voting ballot is entitled “Maryland In-state Tuition Referendum,” but most people know Question 4 as the “Dream Act.” The facts of the Dream Act are simple: that any individual, regardless of whether they are undocumented immigrants, are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates for community colleges in Maryland. However, certain specifications must be met for this individual; they must graduate
from a Maryland high school, file for income taxes, have intent to apply for permanent residency, and register for selective service, if applicable. This act has gained support through extensive grassroots work and if passed, would highly encourage graduation from high school among young illegal immigrants. On a long term scale, it is expected to add many more professional workers to the Maryland workforce. Opponents of the Dream Act worry that this would cause illegal immigrants to flock to Maryland. If Question 4 is not passed on November 6th, it could be off the ballot for many years to come. [pagebreak]

Question 6 is the Civil Marriage Protection Act. It states that Maryland will allow gay or lesbian couples to get married but protects the clergy from performing any marriage ceremonies that are against their respective religions. Question 6 has gained much support throughout Maryland, with the group
Marylanders for Marriage Equality. They argue that the government has no right to say who someone can marry whereas the opposition to Question 6 charge it as taking away religious freedoms from those whose religions oppose gay marriage. Maryland is one of three states that currently have gay marriage on their election ballots. If it is passed, history in Maryland will be made. If not, gay marriage could be off the ballots for many years, just like the Dream Act.

Who is in the right on these two crucial questions on the ballot? That’s for you, the Maryland voter to decide. So get out to the voting centers on November 6th and vote. The future of the state is in our hands- make sure your voice is heard!

Photo Sources:
Jasmin Gonzalez